Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any durable voice recognition headsets?

Are there any durable voice recognition headsets?

I am looking for a durable voice recognition headset. I am a quad and in bed on my back nearly 24/seven. Everything is run by computer using voice commands, my TV, lights, heat, telephone, etc.. Two thirds of the time I am wearing the headset. I find that the MIC line generally begins to break down within a month of use. Basic commands will still work but dictation deteriorates from recognizing sentences to only a single word. Eventually the break in the MIC line is so bad that simply turning my head will trigger a close or open command. I am replacing the headset every 2 to 3 months.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have avoided the wireless headsets, constantly changing batteries is not something I can do on my own and does not seem practical. Are the high end professional headsets any more durable? It seems like I've tried most of the products under $100.

Thank you.
    Last edited by QuadmanJr; 03-31-2016 at 01:36 AM.

Maybe move away from the MIC input and use USB, which is more durable. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...ffice-headset/

Although this might require a lot of engineering (and I might be able to get volunteers to help I might consider the amazon echo dot - not a headset but with excellent directional voice recognition -
    I might even have some higher tech suggestions but I need to explore some options

When I was AB, I swore by Plantronics wireless headsets for use on the phone at work. People on the other end couldn't even tell I was using a wireless headset. Very durable, and fabulous company support (after many months of use, static-electricity buildup begins to affect sound quality, but support will talk you through making it work like new again). Plantronics is a bit pricey, but worth every penny IMO.

When I medically retired, I gave my headset to my son to use at work. He loves it, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Maybe move away from the MIC input and use USB, which is more durable. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...ffice-headset/

Thank you for pointing me to "the wire cutters" web site. I found it to be very informative and I found a couple of potential headsets to add to my list.

As for durability, since it is at the Headphone/MIC end where the line breaks down I have had the same problem with both USB and traditional style MIC headsets. I suspect the weak link is where the boom-mic is attached.

Do you actualy require a headset? Have you thought about a sissor boom and a usb mic? something like:
    MIC + Boom

I use something like that for streaming, but I do use headphones, so I'm not sure how much interference other sounds may have on it.
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by Reed-edm View Post
    Do you actualy require a headset? Have you thought about a sissor boom and a usb mic? something like:
    MIC + Boom. I use something like that for streaming, but I do use headphones, so I'm not sure how much interference other sounds may have on it.
    Yes, I have considered a scissor boom but I cannot think of a location to mount it that would not be in the way. My monitor is mounted on the ceiling directly above my hospital style bed. Considering how much money I am wasting on headsets I really should experiment, perhaps a boom-MIC but mounted to the side frame rail.

As for the ambient sound I think a directional cone can easily be made to cover the MIC and block out unwanted noise.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadmanJr View Post
    I am looking for a durable voice recognition headset. I am a quad and in bed on my back nearly 24/seven. Everything is run by computer using voice commands, my TV, lights, heat, telephone, etc.. Two thirds of the time I am wearing the headset. I find that the MIC line generally begins to break down within a month of use. Basic commands will still work but dictation deteriorates from recognizing sentences to only a single word. Eventually the break in the MIC line is so bad that simply turning my head will trigger a close or open command. I am replacing the headset every 2 to 3 months.
    How do you get a computer to do all these things?
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    How do you get a computer to do all these things?
    I am using X10 and Zwave switches with a program called Home Control Assistant on my PC to operate lights, thermostats, appliances, front door lock, etc. For the telephone service I am simply using SKYPE. For the TV my PC has a CETON 6 tuner cable card installed; it is controlled by Windows Media Center, which I also use for viewing DVD movies and listening to music. I still need to add remote power curtains and windows, but they are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed-edm View Post
    MIC + Boom. I use something like that for streaming, but I do use headphones, so I'm not sure how much interference other sounds may have on it.
    I have considered this, but I'm not sure where I could mount the boom-MIC without it being in the way. My monitor TV is mounted to the ceiling above my hospitals style bed. Perhaps I could amount to the bed side rail. I really need to experiment with this because I'm wasting too much money on headsets.