Thread: Stats

Unhappy Stats

Just scrolled to bottom of page for 1st time. It's no wonder the site had to be restructured just to defend itself, which lends credence to just how much of a job it is to run a social forum site! Or this place would be a disaster. So props to Mods & Techs..121,000 spam members denied registration!
    Also there's an equivalent of 10% of U.S. populace w/ a SCI - related - or other, if I'm correct. There's 300,000+ members on board here! Sure the U.S. census has risen from the 300 Mill mark through the years but just rounding..
    Which just got me pondering the other biggie currently incurable dilemmas.

Generally incurable and ongoing, chronic diseases affect approximately 133 million Americans,
    representing more than 40% of the total population of this country!!WTF
    By 2020, that number is
    projected to grow to an estimated 157 million, with 81 million having multiple conditions.
    About half of all adults have a chronic condition, and approximately 8 percent of children ages 5
    to 17 were reported by their parents to have limited activities due to at least one chronic disease
    or disability.
    More and more people are living with not just one chronic illness, such as diabetes, heart disease
    or depression, but with two or more conditions. Almost a third of the population is now living with multiple chronic conditions.
    In 2009, 7 out of 10 deaths in the U.S. are due to chronic diseases. Heart disease, cancer and
    stroke account for more than half of all deaths each year. According to the New England Journal
    of Medicine, people with chronic conditions receive only 56% of recommended preventive health care services.
    Q. What is the economic impact of chronic diseases?
    More than 75% of all health care costs are due to chronic conditions.
    Four of the five most expensive health conditions (based on total health care spending in a given year in the United
    States) are chronic conditions ? heart disease, cancer, mental disorders, and pulmonary conditions.
    A 2007 study reported that seven chronic diseases ? cancer, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, heart
    disease, pulmonary conditions, and mental illness ? have a total impact on the economy of $1.3
    trillion annually. By the year 2023, this number is projected to increase to $4.2 trillion in
    treatment costs and lost economic output.

Wow--As you read or saw SCI is not included & for those who have done the math know the expense of treating us over a lifetime why/how SCI is majorly overseen in the Stats of these figures & the negative amount poured into research for treatment!!
    Last edited by Stormycoon; 03-29-2016 at 04:05 PM.
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Well because a spinal cord injuries come in all different sizes the really taxing injuries start from severely complete C5 and up these are the people that need almost 24 seven caregiving for at least daily which can be over $50,000 a year. Plus modifications are more drastic, housing situations are more difficult to accommodate, more medical Products are needed and other health problems are more common. I think it's $3.3 million. For a high complete cervical injury.