Thread: Wrong size rim tape sent.

Unhappy Wrong size rim tape sent.

Sportaid sent me 25" rim tape and new 24" inch tubes and Marathon Plus tires. My husband thinks he can "fit" it together. Is this a mistake? Help! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    Sportaid sent me 25" rim tape and new 24" inch tubes and Marathon Plus tires. My husband thinks he can "fit" it together. Is this a mistake? Help! Thanks!
    Mistake, get the correct size or you will have probably have flats. If the diameter fits tightly you might get lucky. But also the width has to be correct. Be sure it covers only the bottom of the rim.

I've got Schwalbe rim tape size 16-540 on 24 inch Spinergy wheels with Marathon Plus. The 16 refers to the width tape.
    Last edited by nonoise; 03-26-2016 at 05:14 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks, nonoise! He's using the old tape. I'll have to call them next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    Thanks, nonoise! He's using the old tape. I'll have to call them next week.
    You might not have to replace "old" Schwalbe rim tape if that is what was there. It is tough stuff.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks for that info. Makes me feel better. Not sure what "old" tape I have. When I received the chair years ago the tires weren't fully inflated. (go figure!) When we did fully inflate they blew! POW!! With me in the chair some hours later! I called TiLite and they said it was the wrong tape and they sent new. (red, they said we needed) Anyway that's the tape I still have. It's really tough and seems okay. I guess I thought one always replaced the tape when replacing tubes/tires. We're doing it just 'cause things are old. Had been seeing "blue" showing through at edges of marathons/ not much tread either.