Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedy Lift, XL-Seat, Ford Transit Connect Wagon compability (or HI-LIFT)

I bought a retractable back scratcher, as per their recommendation, and found it was a bit flimsy. So, I bought this selfie stick and tried it out instead. Works perfectly!
    http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-G...ilpage_o06_s00

Quote Originally Posted by jgrant27 View Post
    Do you use any type of tool to pull the door closed once your chair is loaded? I asked Adapt Solutions, and in the videos on their site it's a retractable back scratcher.
    In my case, I purchased the cargo van version Connect which has a flip down armrest which I have been using as a temp support to enter and exit the van.. I've been searching for the full armrest as seen in the personal Connect.. but this would mean that one must replace the entire center console and I'm not willing to do this.. However, it does help if one has connection with a shop. I'm designing an armrest for our van which will off way more support exiting and entering the van. This way I can remove the very thin drivers seat armrest.. Once the design has been completed, I'll pass this info along to you if needed.

Do you use any type of tool to pull the door closed once your chair is loaded? I asked Adapt Solutions, and in the videos on their site it's a retractable back scratcher.
    jgrant27, I was in a similar situation 3 years ago - switched from a Honda 2 door coupe manual transfer, took my chair apart, to a 2012 Mazda 5 with a Speedy lift. I still don't like not being able to do it all myself, but it is saving my shoulders a lot of wear and tear!
    I took out the armrest that you circled in your picture after a while. It just ended up getting in the way, and I balanced on the car door and on a flip down ledge I use for transferring.
    The device I use for the door is one I got from Travis Medical in my area. I can't find it on the website anymore. It is a dowel rod with a plastic "L" shape screwed into one end. The other end has a small circular hook on it, as if it would be intended to hang from a nail on the wall when it is not being used. I will look and see if I can find the product anywhere online. I know my description is a little lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    I bought a retractable back scratcher, as per their recommendation, and found it was a bit flimsy. So, I bought this selfie stick and tried it out instead. Works perfectly!
    http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-G...ilpage_o06_s00
    Thank you! I just picked up my modified car on Friday. I'm getting a big kick out of using the selfie stick as adaptive equipment. :-)

Thank you! I just picked up my modified car on Friday. I'm getting a big kick out of using the selfie stick as adaptive equipment. :-)
    Ha!! Adaptive selfies!

I have the mazda 5 as well and I love it now that i've gotten used to it. there was a hateful/regretful relationship for a bit, but now i love the maneuverability and small size of it (not having the ramp). I actually just took the arm of the xl board right off...it bothered me and slowed me down

instead of that selfie stick I bought a dressing stick, cut it in half, and put a foam handle over the dowel. it is quick easy and I really like it.

For mine I needed something a little more rigid so I bought a walking stick, made the adjustable length permanent to what was ideal, and flipped the end cup around and cut it into the shape of a hook. Will be 3 years of use this fall and overall been a much more reliable door system than the power doors on my prior vehicle.

BTW - I did some research and found a company in Phoenix that will provide an automatic door kit to adaptive equipment vendors (i.e. the folks who installed the speedi-lift). Good news until I found out the package would cost upwards of $3K. I'm planning to stick with the selfie stick for now. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll provide details.

I agree, it doesn't matter if one is handicapped of suffering with some sort of limitations. (seems to be nothing more than an insurance write off) Most installers I've contacted in an attempt to have the spare tire relocated from under the van to inside wall, have not been to pleasant with me. Thus I'm still hoping to do this install myself assuming the wife will allow me to actually cut a square whole in one of the molder plastic cargo panels.

As for your handle, more power to you. and I have a feeling one day when I enter the van, the arm support might just give way, thus forcing me to create an alternative option. granted we have the shop, just not the time. I'll keep post on your handle concept for the near future.

Mazda5 drivers - how do you arrange your legs when driving? I don't have a lot of room, and I'm nervous about my foot hitting the brake (which may have happened today, ugh).