Thread: Supra pubic stoma w/skin breakdown

Supra pubic stoma w/skin breakdown

Hi:

Frist off, I'm a first time poster, so, hello!

My problem started when I had trouble changing my SP catheter over two months ago. I think my bladder was dry as a bone and it took a long time to get the new catheter in. Sadly, a week later the skin underneath got irritated and I went on antibiotics. A week after that a friction blister happened (somehow) below the SP site and got infected. I was scheduled with my urologist to enlarge my stoma since we had trouble replacing it. During the operation the Dr. decided to remove the infected tissue leaving a crater right below the SP site. For most part, things are almost back to normal but I cannot get the last bit to heal and the doctor says it's ok and most SP sites look like how mine looks now. Although, this doesn't seem right because for the last six years my SP stoma has looked perfectly normal with no irritating drainage or breakdown. His medical advice was, "you were lucky". I have been in bed 99% of the time for the last 5 weeks and it won't heal! Is it normal for quadriplegics to sit up on SP sites that look like this or is my doctor wrong? Personally, it seems like a bad idea to me as my belly hinges on that spot and pushes the tube into the wound.

any info/advice is welcome,
    Chris.
    Last edited by christoph; 03-23-2016 at 11:42 PM.

It is just taking longer to heal but laying around in bed is not the answer. It will not hurt it if you get up in your chair because you will have the dressing over it. CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It is just taking longer to heal but laying around in bed is not the answer. It will not hurt it if you get up in your chair because you will have the dressing over it. CWO
    Even if it is where my body bends when sitting? It is right underneath my belly which puts all my upper body weight on it when sitting pushing the tube into the wound. You don't think it will keep damaging it?

thanks for your reply,

It appears you are using a latex foley catheter. It would be a good idea to change to another material type for this catheter. Many people develop allergies or sensitivities to latex over time, even if they have used latex successfully for years. All of the trouble you started to have may have been caused by these latex allergies/sensitivities and now latex allergies/sensitivities are slowing the healing process.

One catheter that many are finding more comfortable and less irritating to the bladder is the Poiesis Duette Dual Balloon catheter. See: http://www.poiesismedical.com/

All the best,
    GJ
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    It appears you are using a latex foley catheter. It would be a good idea to change to another material type for this catheter. Many people develop allergies or sensitivities to latex over time, even if they have used latex successfully for years. All of the trouble you started to have may have been caused by these latex allergies/sensitivities and now latex allergies/sensitivities are slowing the healing process.

All the best,
    GJ
    GJ:
    we just changed out the catheter with a silicon catheter when I was at the dr on Tuesday. Hopefully, that will help. I will read up on the one you listed above. Do you have any insight on why you would want two balloons on a catheter?