Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't park your bike on the ramp and lock it!

Don't park your bike on the ramp and lock it!

Went to go vote last Tuesday and there were two bicycles locked to the ramp?s handrail. I told the girl at the desk to call security and have them removed. I come out and one guy was unlocking his bike from the hand rail. So I went back in and asked for security?s telephone number and I called them. The supervisor came down and took care of it.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

You really couldn't get around that??

Don't park you bike on a ramp!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    You really couldn't get around that??
    There were two, one on each side. Is that a wheelchair ramp or a bicycle rack?

Do you see all the bike racks?

Stupidity is not a disability!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

What I see is a PUBLIC walkway/ entrance that is a ramp,on the right side of said ramp ( from the perspective of the picture) I see numerous bikesusing the railing or A bike rack beside it as an anchor for their bike chain!which is perfectly fine unless otherwise directly stated by owner/ Township, I also see one bike using the left railing again as an anchor, slightly in the way on the start of the ramp! definitely not the most considerate thing to do, mind you it looks like the other side and the other bike rack in the distance was fairly full. BUT I could easily get around it in my electric wheelchair though, seeing as I don't own it and it's a public area, or a private lot open to the public,I couldn't be bothered nor justify complaining about it... Not stupidity just don't want to be whiny, or act entitled because of my limitations. I feel the same way about "disabled" parking spots tho, to each his own.

I'd argue that power chairs are always narrower than manual chairs because the wheels have to be at your sides whereas power chairs wheels' are below you ... though Ti is certainly fit. I've seen this several times with bikes parked on sidewalks and cannot pass by.

He taught them a lesson - perhaps they won't do it again. It's a ramp, not a bike park. If a woman was pushing a double stroller, she wouldn't be able to get through either.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    Power chairs are more narrow than manual chairs? I wouldn't have thought that. I have no experience with power chairs, but reading that went against my assumptions. My manual is 22" at the widest point (lowest point of hand rims). I thought that was pretty slim! Power chairs slimmer than that? That's interesting.

And, yeah, that bike wasn't in the way. In the world of "choosing your battles" I would have rolled right passed that one. YMMV.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Minespretty slim, but I am a slim long guy, it just depends on what the chair is carrying I'd say.

You men with no hips! I am no skinny minny either. Not since I was young. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm such SOB that, I'd have probably flipped the bike over the top of the rail.

I have to agree I could roll right by it but it would bother me. The ramp is there because of the ADA made them put it in for wheelchair access. I believe it also says that it must be clear and not blocked like it is with the bicycle. If they need another bike rack then let the cyclist complain about it and get another bike rack rather than wheelchairs, strollers, walkers and all others having to maneuver around it. Ive seen this kind of thing many times in my 35 years of rolling around it's not there for someones convenience like the access isle next to my van is not for motorcycle parking. People are so inconsiderate and if you give them an inch they'll take a mile. I applaud you for perusing it and you are right to do so. Years ago I would have done the same but it more than likely wont make any difference and people just don't care anymore.
    ^^(A)^^