Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with buying a laptop

Help with buying a laptop

I haven't bought or researched computers (processor speeds etc) for around 4 years. I need a new laptop because the one I'm using isn't fast enough.
    My current processor is a 1.70 gigahertz Intel Celeron B820.

I don't play computer games (aside from simple web-based games) but I want to multitask and use voice recognition. I don't want to spend more than $500 but want one that will do me another 4-5 years.

Any suggestions?

I found this laptop and wondered if its a good buy and would do everything I need?
    I'd appreciate any feedback...
    http://us-store.acer.com/aspire-e5-772-54pz-notebook

I have an Asis laptop and its great but a little more money than what you are talking about. The only issue is the battery went bad and had to be replaced after about a year.

I keep my laptop on my overbed table and plugged in, so battery duration isn't important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I found this laptop and wondered if its a good buy and would do everything I need?
    I'd appreciate any feedback...
    http://us-store.acer.com/aspire-e5-772-54pz-notebook
    It won't do 3D Google Earth as far as I can tell if you care.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I'd upgrade the the sdram from 8 to 16, depending on what's already in it, it should run you between $32 to 58 if you can get a friend to put it in for you (easy to do) or if ACER offers it with 16, it's worth going for, it'll improve the multitasking performance.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    It won't do 3D Google Earth as far as I can tell if you care.
    I've never used 3D Google Earth, is it worth spending 100 or so bucks more?

Quote Originally Posted by Moongazr View Post
    I'd upgrade the the sdram from 8 to 16, depending on what's already in it, it should run you between $32 to 58 if you can get a friend to put it in for you (easy to do) or if ACER offers it with 16, it's worth going for, it'll improve the multitasking performance.
    I was planning on doing so... I usually max out the computers I use. I haven't bought that laptop yet, but will likely do so, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I've never used 3D Google Earth, is it worth spending 100 or so bucks more?
    3D google earth is not an essential. Google earth works in 2d and panorama on my old computer long enough for me to see what I need to know. But 3D on a fast new capable computer is fun and gives an amazing drone like perspective.
    Here are the mins that I now find: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/shv/G...tall_guide.pdf It is the graphics that I questioned about your prospect. When I upgraded the mins included "with direct X". I don't see that now. Maybe it's redundant, but that graphic card seems to be consistently required.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Have you upgraded to windows 10 yet via free upgrade?

If not, I would do that after running a backup. I did that on an old laptop that we thought was hopeless and was very pleasantly surprised with it's performance.

I then replaced the HDD with an inexpensive SSD for around $60 and it is so quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyy View Post
    Have you upgraded to windows 10 yet via free upgrade?

If not, I would do that after running a backup. I did that on an old laptop that we thought was hopeless and was very pleasantly surprised with it's performance.

I then replaced the HDD with an inexpensive SSD for around $60 and it is so quick.
    I've considered doing so... thanks, I might just try that.