Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Electric Shocks

Angry Electric Shocks

I have a variety of different types of SCI pain. Over the last nine months or so ? the severity and the quantity of electric shocks that begin to my feet and Shoot up to my mid spine have increased to unreasonable levels. I've tried a variety of different np medications without success.

Has anyone else had this type of pain? Doubt the point that I no longer can sleep more than an hour without shocks waking me up. My psychiatrist told me that she has never heard of this and that none of her patients have ever reported having this type of pain.

Noise is sometimes a trigger but not always.

It manifests similarly to this syndrome: http://www.healthline.com/health/mul...sign#Overview1

Difference being is that the shocks originate in my feet and go to point of injury or lower back versus from neck to feet.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experienced this?

( forgive grammar and spelling...goal is to communicate and I don't have the energy to goal is to communicate and I don't have the energy to edit)

Yes, of course, pain with varying degree's of pain, this is what originates "my" spasms, or "my" legs just failing without any warning. They can be very probably explained in a discussion as similar to electrical shocks.

For many years I used a Chiropractor and one Osteopathic Doctor to relieve these pains. Perhaps simply delaying the inevitable, repairs to my spine. But, 40 - 50 years ago spinal surgery was an absolute last resort. So my old habits, while keeping me working and mobile, may have exacerbated the problem.

When the work you perform, for most of your life, requires a lot of often heavy physical work, and you make that living through many different employer's, you have to depend on your reputation. So having a functional body was imperative. Whether we agree or not all of us look at an employee for functionality. I never enjoyed the kind of employment that permitted me not to be somewhat physically able. I was able to retire while this was still fairly true, but diminishing quickly. I have no regrets.

So we all deal with pain and perhaps feel,and explain pain differently. Your doctor, I believe is fairly inexperienced or didn't listen to his/her patients well. Simply one or two people who experience this sensation is unrealistic, or not possible. This pain has been explained by different people in different terms possibly. Your doctor is not making the connections.

After 5yrs. of these "shocks" I'm going to try to explain this again to a new doctor, tomorrow. My shocks start unexpectedly with no rhyme or reason.
    They travel through my left leg and have since about 2 months after my surgery. I've been told it might be scar tissue. I don't know but they are severe, and have lasted as long as three days. I thought Lyrica was helping, now not so sure. I just went through a episode about a week ago that had me yelling each time they fired.
    It's no fun for me or my family seeing me yell over and over again, turning into a exhausted sweat ball. I brought this up a few years ago here and only one person mailed me to say they had the same type of shocks. I see now others have commented on them, but no answers. So if there is someone who has got a handle on these I'd love to hear how.

I just read all the shock threads, still no answers. One thread said sound may start them, these are not the same. One said if I lay in bed they are better. Not the case with mine. They fire unrelenting, no matter what I do. This must be like torture I'd imagine. It's like a EMG X 10, sometimes with two or three spots zapping at the same time, no chance to recover or prepare before the next one. I'm not soft, I've lived with regular pain most my life, these are a different creature altogether.

I was prescribed Gabbapentin for this, and it does some good. Nothing perfect, I did was prescribed Lyrica which is almost the same thing, but that was useless for me.

Now you have to realize everyone feels pain and symptoms as you describe very differently. Different nerves or branches of them are involved, so expecting some symptom EXACTLY the same, is not probable. The solution for you is not necessarily going to be the same as what works for me. Again we are all different.

Yes, it is very likely there is some sort of damage, how it occurred, when it occurred, and why it manifests itself and when it does, may always be a mystery, or found quite simply.

There is always the possibility that something, even scar tissue that rolls around, or moves within your body/spine that provides an inconsistent pressure against the nerve structure, causing your issue.

I have been with this issue since 1972, with no real answers until quite recently. And some of those answers have had some real simple solutions. Be politely insistent, and keep asking questions, to get more questions to ask your doctor's.

Has anyone ever tried cold as a therapy for these "shocks"? I may have stumbled on cold giving me some relief.

I had these shocks from the beginning of injury and they remained until at least five years on. The shocks feel the equivalent to an electric fence used for livestock. Zap! Zap! Pop! One of the worst most torturous mind effing pains as they can persist for hours. Noise like a pill bottle snapping closed would send the strongest shocks through my brain. I say brain because in my opinion they are shorts in the electrical signals meant to travel through our bodies but are abruptly stopped at the injury site causing the shorted circuit to then overload the brain which results in an electrical shock sensation.

Since high pitch noises triggered the worst of the shocks, I would listen to music like Metallica (just an example) with ear phones and crank the volume. It would wear out the overreacting response my brain would have from the unexpected noises. Exercise and Sunshine would also alleviate the shock pains.

Mine just have to run their course. And thanks a great big bunch Bob.

I am so glad i come to care cure, shaking my head reading other people's descriptions of their pains and looking for triggers. I am a t-12 incomplete for 13 years and have had the lightning bolts all day and all night from the start. On a normal night it would wake me up 2-3 times an hour some nights 5-6. My trigger is any stimulation to my left hip. touch, vibration, change of temperature. Much like northquad's metallica therapy i try to tire the connections during the day so I can sleep, using my easystand glider ,the jets in my tub or even a tens unit all hurt like a bastard but the difference between @2 hours of sleep a night and @5 is amazing.

you just described my pain lonecoaster. Perfectly.
    Last edited by smirking1; 03-22-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: fat fingers