Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't we have this?

Why don't we have this?

In U.K. they have this extra funds for living for disabled called PIP. Would be nice for us as well or do we have anything similar?

https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

I don't think we have anything like that.

We probably have the equivalent in the form of SSD. So looking at this, about 200 USD max, minus 20% VAT over there...be careful for what you wish for, sounds much like here.

Blog Entries
    Sounds a lot like SSI and SSDI.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Oh I was presumING it was something additional on top of say an SSI(D) monthly income.. That'd be great cause w/ our SSI here it's just on the threshold of minimum to affordable rent + bills. I only found 1 outlet local here resembling that but it's a 1 time payment of around $200 for electric bill.
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

It is equivalent to your SSI/SSDI and is the only benefit paid to cover the costs of being disabled. Payment is about $770 per month maximum for highest level of disability and includes an amount for mobility, this can be used with our Motability car leasing scheme for more affordable motoring. Obviously using the payment to do that reduces the amount left for household bills. It isn't means tested (yet) and you receive it even if you work. Only paid up until you reach pension age of 65.

You guys need this: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/rdsp/ A savings account, if you will, for future disability needs. You put in $500 and the government will match it to a one to three ratio therefore putting in $1500.

The caveat is that you can't touch it for ten years ... I took $400 for a used powerchair two years ago and lost considerable money (was it mine to begin with?) Can't leave the government's portion to anyone either - they take it back once you pass away.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    It is equivalent to your SSI/SSDI and is the only benefit paid to cover the costs of being disabled. Payment is about $770 per month maximum for highest level of disability and includes an amount for mobility, this can be used with our Motability car leasing scheme for more affordable motoring. Obviously using the payment to do that reduces the amount left for household bills. It isn't means tested (yet) and you receive it even if you work. Only paid up until you reach pension age of 65.
    Ouch, that is not a lot of money. It is more akin to the US SSI system. SSDI payments are often many (MANY) multiples of that amount ($770), depending on how long/how much the individual paid in over their work life.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

It doesn't matter what you contribute to our National Insurance scheme the maximum payout is $770.I paid the highest level for many years and only get the same as others who contributed much less. It is the same for unemployment/Employment Support Allowance, I was a higher rate tax payer yet received minimum benefits, had to start my own business to make ends meet. Don't earn a lot but it is more than benefits! Your schemes seem to reward those who pay in a lot better than ours do but I guess we benefit from our NHS which for me covers cost of 2 PA's and all my medical supplies like leg bags, we just throw away and I know they get washed and reused depending upon insurer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    It doesn't matter what you contribute to our National Insurance scheme the maximum payout is $770.I paid the highest level for many years and only get the same as others who contributed much less. It is the same for unemployment/Employment Support Allowance, I was a higher rate tax payer yet received minimum benefits, had to start my own business to make ends meet. Don't earn a lot but it is more than benefits! Your schemes seem to reward those who pay in a lot better than ours do but I guess we benefit from our NHS which for me covers cost of 2 PA's and all my medical supplies like leg bags, we just throw away and I know they get washed and reused depending upon insurer.
    Yeah, NHS makes up for a lot. Best we get is 80% of medical expenses covered via Medicare for disabled folks, and that's not free, costs a couple hundred $ a month. Your ~45% income tax plus 20% VAT helps!