Thread: Private message for sci nurse

Private message for sci nurse

This "bubble" appeared the day after my husband changed my sp catheter. It is red and raised, within the site of the spot the catheter is inserted. Any clue what it is or what i should do?
    Any help is much appreciated!
    Kim

Private messages to the SCI-Nurses should be sent either through the Private Message function here, or to our Hotmail account. I don't see any image on your post, so can't comment on this without seeing a photo.

Here are instructions on how to post a photo from your computer:

First: Check your forum Settings:

Miscellaneous Options

Message Editor Interface:

• Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
    • Basic Editor - A simple text box
    • Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

You need to be sure that you have checked Enhanced settings, not one of the other two.

Then you need to follow these directions:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-Where-to-post

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-18-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Question Skin issue

This "bubble" appeared the day after my husband changed my sp catheter. It is red and raised, within the site of the spot the catheter is inserted. Any clue what it is or what i should do?
    Kim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It looks like a blister to me. Is it fluid filled? Was Betadine used to clean the skin before insertion? Could you be allergic to Betadine? Does the size/shape change if you deflate the balloon (without removing the catheter)?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by kimmyj33 View Post
    Kim
    Does it seem to have fluid in it or is it a hard nodule?

All the best,
    GJ

PS: Sorry...typing and posting at the same time KLD was posting.

We used betadine to clean prior to insertion, I'm not allergic. I am getting into bed after dinner, my husband will deflate and see what happens.
    If it's a blister should it be covered/uncovered? What would cause this? Never had this before.

Was the Betadine washed off after insertion? It should be.

Put a light coat of antibiotic ointment (like Bacitracin) over it and cover lightly with a non-adherent dressing. Don't pop it.

(KLD)

The catheter looks as though it might be latex. Any possibility that you have developed a latex allergy or sensitivity?

You may want to consider changing to the Poiesis Duette Catheter. http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Was the Betadine washed off after insertion? It should be.

Put a light coat of antibiotic ointment (like Bacitracin) over it and cover lightly with a non-adherent dressing. Don't pop it.

(KLD)
    Thank you! We have been using an antibiotic ointment. It's still the same, didn't get any worse.

Did you see the question above about possible latex allergy?

(KLD)