Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New TR3...upgraded everything

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Thanks, the local vendor I used was very helpful, but the only way to correct my issues was to have a whole new frame built. So the only way for me to have it done right was for tilite to do it the first time. And the problems I'm having with my second frame aren't worth waiting to have another one built...again.
    I have had similar problems with Tilite, currently this month makes it 5 months i have been waiting for them to complete work for me. Let's just say...i am very displeased with them.

Thanks for the detail on your chair Brad09. It was nice to see a Java cushion on an ergo frame.
    Disappointed to hear TiLite is becoming difficult to deal with. My current chair is a TR (3 1/2 yrs old). I had pretty good success dealing with them at that time.
    I've been exploring cushions and backrest. I have an ergo seat as well but am using a sling seat pan and have been using a stimulite classic cushion with a Matrix MX-1 centre mounted backrest (mounts to the rigidizer bar). I seem to only get about 6 months out of the stimulite cushion and it dies and the Matrix MX-1 mounting bracket has come lose more then once and the bolts have striped out 3 times. A little frustrating. I have a few questions for you:
    - why did you go to a hard seat pan instead of a sling?
    - what made you decide to go with an ergo frame and the Java cushion. I was told the Ride cushions have ergo built in and you don't need the ergo frame? Saying that, I like my ergo frame. I have had 2 chairs with ergo frames so far.
    - did you look at the java backrest? If so how does it compare to the ADI backrest?
    - what do you think of the Java cushion? I have been seriously considering the Java cushion and backrest.

Lots of questions. Thanks again for the information in your original post.

Brad -

Currently specing a TR3 also and hoping to get a Smart Drive if its covered by insurance. Curious why you cant use the carbon fiber camber tube with it?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Thanks for the detail on your chair Brad09. It was nice to see a Java cushion on an ergo frame.
    Disappointed to hear TiLite is becoming difficult to deal with. My current chair is a TR (3 1/2 yrs old). I had pretty good success dealing with them at that time.
    I've been exploring cushions and backrest. I have an ergo seat as well but am using a sling seat pan and have been using a stimulite classic cushion with a Matrix MX-1 centre mounted backrest (mounts to the rigidizer bar). I seem to only get about 6 months out of the stimulite cushion and it dies and the Matrix MX-1 mounting bracket has come lose more then once and the bolts have striped out 3 times. A little frustrating. I have a few questions for you:
    - why did you go to a hard seat pan instead of a sling? I had a sling on my old ZRA2 and didn't like having the two aluminum rods running along the frame with 5 or 6 bolts on each side. I also didn't like having to use one of those wedge shaped trays under my cushion to keep it from bowing with the seat sling. So I went with the carbon pan to avoid the additional tray, simplify, save weight, and just like the way it looks.
    - what made you decide to go with an ergo frame and the Java cushion. I was told the Ride cushions have ergo built in and you don't need the ergo frame? I haven't heard that before about the Ride cushions. It seems to me that the benefits they have on posture and what an ergo frame offers are a little different. But I've always had bad posture and being in a wheelchair has made it worse, so I wanted to go with an ergo frame this time to help keep my pelvis rotated more forward. I also had a Ride cushion on my old chair but it was their standard evaluator (hard styrofoam) cushion and it was too stiff to work with the ergo frame without modification, so when I heard about the new Java cushion I tried it out and I seem to get even more benefits than my old cushion, plus it is flexible enough to conform to the ergo frame.
    Saying that, I like my ergo frame. I have had 2 chairs with ergo frames so far.
    - did you look at the java backrest? I didn't, I had this same ADI back on my old chair (removable aluminum version) and it has done well for me over the years so I just stuck with it on this chair but went with the carbon version and fixed mounting. I may look into the Java backrest in the future though, it seems like it would work well.
    If so how does it compare to the ADI backrest?
    - what do you think of the Java cushion? In addition to what I said above, I really like that my butt bones float because I got a pressure sore a few years ago from letting the air get too low in my roho cushion (my fault). But I do have to be more aware of my hips now since that's where some of the pressure gets re-distributed to. I also like the softer foam on the top of the Java compared to my old Ride cushion.
    I have been seriously considering the Java cushion and backrest.

Answers in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rginis@comcast.net View Post
    Brad -

Currently specing a TR3 also and hoping to get a Smart Drive if its covered by insurance. Curious why you cant use the carbon fiber camber tube with it?
    I was told by my PT that Tilite recommended against going with a carbon fiber camber tube if using a smart drive. I'm not sure if it has to do with the clamp and how tight it has to be or just the force from the smart drive pushing the chair. But there isn't much weight difference between the titanium and carbon, so that's what I went with just to be on the safe side.

in my personal experience with my tilites and customer chairs, Tilite has done very well and if there is a problem they rectify it quickly. i think most problems are the dealers dropping the ball not necessarily the mfr. i have been a TILITE user for many years and a dealer for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    - why did you go to a hard seat pan instead of a sling?
    - what made you decide to go with an ergo frame and the Java cushion. I was told the Ride cushions have ergo built in and you don't need the ergo frame? Saying that, I like my ergo frame. I have had 2 chairs with ergo frames so far.
    - did you look at the java backrest? If so how does it compare to the ADI backrest?
    - what do you think of the Java cushion? I have been seriously considering the Java cushion and backrest.

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Using a smart Drive on a carbon camber tube would more than likely, cancel out the warranty. Tilite will cancel the warranty under any excuse they can use. Like other manufacturers, in the beginning, they had the best customer service. Now that they have grown and sold out to whomever owns it now, it's changed. Used to be a person could call up and order a part, now we have to go thru a dme. I agree with Fuentes on DME's dropping the ball but I feel Tilite has just as much to do with it as the dme. If they know there is a problem, fix it like you used to do.

I have the Titanium camber bar on my Tr and have used a ZX power assist on it for years. No problem at all. Glad I went with a titanium bar rather than carbon fibre.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    in my personal experience with my tilites and customer chairs, Tilite has done very well and if there is a problem they rectify it quickly. i think most problems are the dealers dropping the ball not necessarily the mfr. i have been a TILITE user for many years and a dealer for several years.
    Ok...let me clarify again so there isn't any confusion for others reading this thread. In MY case, I went through three or four CAD drawings because they would not make the changes I asked for (Tilite not DME). Then after receiving my final signed CAD drawing, they sent me a chair that had TWO things that weren't done per the drawing (Tilite not DME). So they built a second frame and it had THREE things that were wrong (Tilite not DME). And I'm not waiting on a third one. So in MY case, the only person that dropped the ball, and continued dropping it, was Tilite.

I wanted to just leave it alone in the original post, but this is the second time it has been suggested that the issue may be with the DME. And in MY case it was not. I may have gotten lucky, but my DME was very helpful throughout the process.

I'm not seeing the pictures of the wheelchair. Did they disappear?
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Blog Entries
    I see 'em. Browser setting?
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments