Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New TR3...upgraded everything

New TR3...upgraded everything

This is gonna be long, sorry. But I was very fortunate that between my insurance and vocational rehab, I was able to have this chair built to be as light and functional as possible. This is my second chair, I'm coming from a ZRA2 with all the standard options. Also, I'm a T6 complete.

I'll start by saying this was an incredibly frustrating process dealing with Tilite. In all it took 5 months. We would give them the info, and they would send the CAD drawing wrong. I would mark it up and send it back, they would update it and send it back wrong again. This literally happened 3 or 4 times. So I finally got a drawing that was correct, signed it, sent it back and waited. When the chair came in the cross bar under my seat was supposed to be 10" from the backrest and they built it at 15", and my casters were over an inch farther apart than the drawing showed. So I sent it back and they built me another one. The second one had the wrong camber plugs, one of the casters is floating 1/8", and the backrest folds at a slight angle. I'm currently trying to get this resolved on my own, as I'm tired of dealing with Tilite. I will definitely be looking at other options for my next chair.

Specs:

TR3
    Titanium ergo frame with v-front taper
    Titanium footrest
    Titanium folding backrest
    Titanium camber tube (couldn't go carbon w/ smart drive)
    Titanium axles
    Carbon fiber custom ADI solid seat pan
    Carbon fiber side guards profiled to wheels
    Carbon fiber ADI 10" deep contour back with fixed elite mounts
    Carbon fiber backrest release bar
    Zero play camber plugs
    Surge handrims
    D's locks with painted hub rings
    25" Spinergy LX x-laced blue wheels with black inner spokes
    Outfront glide single sided suspension forks with 4" black billet wheels
    Schwalbe marathon tires
    Ride design java cushion

On to the pics:

Had ADI make me two carbon seat pans to use for the ergo frame bend (Velcro'd to frame), and had carbon side guards profiled to rear wheels:

ADI back with fixed elite hardware:

Carbon back release bar:

D's locks mounted in front of camber tube:

Lever mount:

Hub rings painted gloss black to match hubs, left ring with holes silver because I like the way they look:

Single sided suspension forks and casters:

Last shot of chair with new Ride java cushion and 2" sided abs footplate:

My observations so far:

The TR chair frame is about 3 pounds lighter than my ZRA, but the D's locks added about a pound back. But I can tell a big difference transferring the frame into my car, much easier. I went up from 24" wheels to 25" and I like it better. I feel like I'm getting more out of each push. The x-laced wheels leave tons of room for my fingers when pulling them off. I ordered the wheels with blue spokes and then replaced the inside ones with black spokes to tame them down a little. I really like the D's locks so far, coming from composite scissor locks. The single lever, and locking both wheels at the same time is really convenient. I think the glide forks looks really good being single sided, less hair gets caught in them, and the supsension aspect seems very comparable to the frog legs I had before. I like the ergo frame, but don't feel a huge difference. Having two carbon seat pans has worked really well and I like having the option to pull them off quickly with the velcro. The new Ride java cushion conforms to the ergo bend in the frame really well, where as my old Ride custom cushion would probably be too stiff. I had them do the standard flat abs footplate for when I use my freewheel and need more room, and then had them add an extra 2" sided footplate that I velcro to the flat footplate to keep my feet closer together for everyday use. I went with the TR this time because I like the looks and wanted the ability to adjust my center of gravity as much as I needed. It hasn't been any more difficult to put in the car with the lower bars. It does feel more rigid than my ZRA, especially going off curbs and I like that. Hopefully this has been helpful to some extent. Questions are welcome, thanks.
    Last edited by Brad09; 03-18-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Nice. well apart from the Tilite part, but I can definitely appreciate that part.

I have that footplate, love it.

Question: What's going on with your seat pan, specifically why is it in two parts? what's the rationale etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Nice. well apart from the Tilite part, but I can definitely appreciate that part.

I have that footplate, love it.

Question: What's going on with your seat pan, specifically why is it in two parts? what's the rationale etc. ?
    Thanks, the seat pan is in two pieces because of the ergo frame angle. You can see from the side view it's flat in the back where I sit and then angles up under my legs. Most people get a tension adjustable seat sling with an ergo frame, but I wanted a solid carbon pan, so this was my solution.
    Last edited by Brad09; 03-18-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Really nice chair. Congratulations. I had not seen the ADI ergo seat base -- nice. The glide forks look really good and the x-laced blue/black spokes are purddy too. I totally agree about the D's locks -- along with being convenient, they have saved my guy from some nasty falls. Sorry you had so many hassles in getting it all sorted out.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Really nice chair. Congratulations. I had not seen the ADI ergo seat base -- nice. The glide forks look really good and the x-laced blue/black spokes are purddy too. I totally agree about the D's locks -- along with being convenient, they have saved my guy from some nasty falls. Sorry you had so many hassles in getting it all sorted out.
    Thanks, the seat base isn't something that ADI offers for ergo frames, I just asked them to cut the two pieces out to my specs. They included the edge trim but I had to put it on and then velcro'd the pans to my frame. I asked Tilite not to drill any holes in the frame and for ADI not to include any hardware.

Nice chair, seems like reading a lot of complaint to Tilite recently.

How much it weight without the rear wheel, backrest, cushion?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Nice chair, seems like reading a lot of complaint to Tilite recently.

How much it weight without the rear wheel, backrest, cushion?
    It was around 14 lbs, but there is probably 2-3 lbs between the D's locks and suspension forks. Plus I'm 6'-2" so my frame depth is 21.5", which is a lot of tubing.

Beautiful, very nice chair.

I do love blue

May I ask about how much you paid for the ADI ergo seat? (Mine is currently plywood.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Beautiful, very nice chair.

I do love blue

May I ask about how much you paid for the ADI ergo seat? (Mine is currently plywood.)
    Thanks! And I appreciate some of the questions you answered for me in other threads throughout this process. I'll have to check with the vendor I went through on Monday. They handled all the insurance so I never saw a breakdown of all the individual costs, just a total. If it wasn't covered I was going to use that dragon plate carbon fiber since it would be less expensive. But I'll let you know when I find out.
    Last edited by Brad09; 03-19-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Chas, Hopefully Brad09 can tell you more. Sportaid.com sells the ADI Carbon Fiber Solid Seat Base for $300 (probably Bike-on.com does also, but I did not see it on their website). On the ADI website it says "Cut per chair specification" (see adirides.com/seating-systems/seatbases), which I assume means that it would be included in the price. When we ordered a non-ergo seat base along with CF Folding Sideguards we made a template for the sideguards and they cut them exactly as specified. Like Brad09, we use velcro to attach them.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).