Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirty handrims... why?

Dirty handrims... why?

As I seem to remember, this didn't used to happen when my chair was new (it is now 5+ years old), and never happened with my first chair (that was replaced at 2 or 3 years). What exactly is causing this silvery grime to build up on my hands and how can I fix it.

The above is the result of pushing (maybe) a half mile without gloves on a dry, sunny day. the handrims are just whatever regularly comes on a pair of LXs when ordered form TiLite, so I assume they are aluminum. Have I finally worn through the clear coat on the handrims and now I'm rubbing off all of the oxidation crap onto my hands everytime I push?

Its time for a new chair, and I will be getting one, but it will probably be 8-9 months off in the future, and I need to sort this out if I am going to pretend to be some sort of gainfully employed professional... can't exactly shake hands with somebody if your hands look like that after coming in from the parking lot.

I guess my first question is: How do I fix this on this chair at a minimal cost? Could I spraypaint the handrims with a clearcoat rattlecan from Walmart?

Next, in the future, it would be dope if I didn't have to run into this problem as my next set of rims ages. If I get titanium handrims will they have a similar type of problem? What about other plasticky type of handrims, I know there are some out there, but I've never considered them before, because instinctively plastic seems like a painful burn waiting to happen on steep downhill without gloves in July.

You are correct, raw aluminum does that. You could try painting them. A more lasting method might be to get them anodized, but ask about it first. I had some things for a boat anodized and some of them turned out rough to the touch.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    You are correct, raw aluminum does that. You could try painting them. A more lasting method might be to get them anodized, but ask about it first. I had some things for a boat anodized and some of them turned out rough to the touch.
    Hmmm... painting seems like a more cost effective path... I figure having them anodized would be almost as expensive as buying a new pair, they're pretty darn big.

How about titanium, does anyone know if the same thing will happen with titanium hand rims if I go with those on my next chair?

No. Titanium doesn't corrode as Aluminium, so you're not going to have the same marks on your hands (due to aluminium oxyde)
    There's another fast and cheap solution you can try, just use these silicone removable grips that most quads use (I do).
    Pro : inexpensive, easy to put on/off, no marks on hands, very good grip.
    Cons : slippery when wet, must be cleaned when dusty, can burn when breaking.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I've always had this issue, even with a new chair. I got a set of wheels with the titanium handrims and they didn't seem to do it, but they were also super slippery when they got wet. I opted for the black handrims with my new LX's and don't seem to have this issue anymore, plus the black ones seem to have a little more grip?

My handrims are old but no real dents or scrapes but every time I go out in nice weather I end up with black hands.

I have tried to resolve this by using a rattle can of clear lacquer, I applied probably 5 - 6 layers of lacquer but after it had dried for 24 hours I put my wheels back together to find the rims were now like fine grit sandpaper... yes i had cured the black hands but now I couldn't stop quickly without burning my hands. The lacquer only lasted 2 weeks maybe and wouldn't try again unless someone knows another method of applying it, maybe rubbing it down between coats?

I think the only real solution is to buy new rims, aluminium or titanium

Chris

I used a clear lacquar on mine and I should have noted when I did this and how many miles so I would know how long it lasted as it is time to do it again. I will track it this time but I bet it was less than a year. I will do more coats this time. It was a little ruff right after I sprayed them but not so much that it caused a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I used a clear lacquar on mine and I should have noted when I did this and how many miles so I would know how long it lasted as it is time to do it again. I will track it this time but I bet it was less than a year. I will do more coats this time. It was a little ruff right after I sprayed them but not so much that it caused a problem.
    I think a year is a good result for a spray can product. It would be helpful if you can post a reference, url, Amazon link, photo or some other information that clearly identifies what you used.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Maybe a product like PlastiDip spray paint. http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Did you prep the rim any?

I'm sure there's some of the original clearcoat in places on the rim, so I feel like I might need to sand it down a little before I spray it.