Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirty handrims... why?

Go an get Line x coating.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I think a year is a good result for a spray can product. It would be helpful if you can post a reference, url, Amazon link, photo or some other information that clearly identifies what you used.
    Well I am sure it was less than a year. my best guess would be 8 months I got it at walmart but here is a link to what I used http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-190.../dp/B0009XCKGA
    Last edited by djrolling; 03-17-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Did you prep the rim any?

I'm sure there's some of the original clearcoat in places on the rim, so I feel like I might need to sand it down a little before I spray it.
    I just wiped them off and covered the wheels so it only went on hand rims. you can easily see where the coating had wore off and where it still had it on there but I really did not care about how it looked I was just tired of dirty hands.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Did you prep the rim any?

I'm sure there's some of the original clearcoat in places on the rim, so I feel like I might need to sand it down a little before I spray it.
    Just test a section to see how much prep is necessary. Lacquer can be applied over lacquer without a problem. Lacquer over enamel might orange peel.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Well I am sure it was less than a year. my best guess would be 8 months I got it at walmart but here is a link to what I used http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-190.../dp/B0009XCKGA
    Thank you for the lead. While I do not use bare rims, I have found that spray cans of lacquer are much easier for me to use than any of the other spray paint products. Long ago I used to paint cars using lacquer, so maybe that has something to do with it. Up to now the only lacquer product I've known about is the high heat one "Stove Bright" which to redo my baseboard heat registers I had to buy a complete case.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

just spray paint it or paint it with some polyurethane... works great.
    you might need to do it a few times a year. its a 15 minute jobbie, dries quickly, is transparent... and does not give any burning feeling when breaking.
    dont use the water based one...
    http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...rior-exterior/
    http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...shes/interior/

cheers,

chris
    Last edited by ckhouri; 03-18-2016 at 02:51 AM. Reason: did not complete post

love the plastidip product, but will not work for something that involves rubbing. the layer will just come off....

Quote Originally Posted by ckhouri View Post
    love the plastidip product, but will not work for something that involves rubbing. the layer will just come off....
    Good to know. Thanks.

All the best,
    GJ

I remain unconvinced of why exactly this is happening. Obviously it was nearish this time last year when my handrims were doing this. It's been very intermittent. Sometimes it's really bad and sometimes there is no problem, I can push for miles without blacking my hands. From maybe July to December I could push 5 or 10 miles at work (indoors on flat surfaces) every day without a significant amount of blacking (although I probably washed my hands 3 or 4 times over the course of the day when I take a piss. Lately I can't go 300 feet without one of my hands getting visibly dirty. Which is another thing that I find really weird, it's just one wheel. My wheels rotate all the time because every time I get in or out of the car they end up on the opposite side (by chance, this just happens in the routine I developed of loading and unloading the chair). The side that gets my hand dirty is a little shinier than the other, but I also can't think why.

In retrospect it seems to be dry climates/times of the year when things get bad - winter, or trips to the desert.

I should just quit my whining and spray some paint of the rims, but it's weird to me that it will go away for months and months at a time, then come back unpredictably and only affect one wheel.

Blog Entries
    Aluminum oxidation is a grey/black powder. It could also be the metal itself. Raw aluminum is very, very soft. Dry enough hands could scour it a bit. Some soaps/cleaners also chemically react with aluminum and create a blackish powdery residue (which is technically a type of oxidation, I think.)
    Last edited by Oddity; 02-01-2017 at 05:59 AM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments