Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable Hydraulic Lift

I would encourage all of you to advocate for yourself for your rights to access wherever you go for health care services. Remember there are no ADA "police". The ADA is enforced, as by all civil rights laws, by citizens insisting upon their rights being met with the service provider and business owner, and then, if necessary, filing an official complaint with the DOJ (or other agency depending upon the section of the ADA in question). Advocating for yourself also helps other people with disabilities who are trying to access these same services.

For hospitals or large healthcare organizations, I would suggest talking to the patient advocate and possibly the risk management department, as the latter will have to address any legal issues brought about by a formal DOJ investigation, so would most likely want to intervene to satisfy your access needs rather than have to deal with the DOJ (and a possible fine).

Something you can also use in your battle for these is that many states have also passed "Safe Patient Handling and Movement" laws for protection of healthcare workers from injuries incurred from manual lifting, requiring that health care facilities obtain mechanical lifts and other equipment for such tasks. The VA has had such rules in place for its facilities since 2008. Facilities that don't have such equipment, train staff in its use, and prohibit unsafe manual lifting may be in violation of the law.

At our hospital we have ceiling track lifts over every inpatient bed, and in many of our outpatient clinic areas, radiology, nuclear medicine, etc. In those areas without a ceiling track lift, we have access to mobile lifts. New clinic furniture is being purchased that includes lower exam tables as well. In our SCI outpatient clinic, we have a hospital beds rather than exam tables, which make exams easier, transfers easier, and are kinder to our patients' skin. Our GU clinic has a urology procedures and urodynamics tables that also go closer to the floor for transfers, or they can use their ceiling track lift to put someone onto a gurney, then slide them over to the exam table.

(KLD)

We have a Sunrise Hydraulic lift that we used to transfer Ry from his power chair to a pick up truck that had a chair carrier. We used it at PT appointments in the early days before he could transfer safely. We used it around the house. It is something that I was able to store int he bed of the truck (I even did it with a Saturn L200 and a transport chair).

We have since gotten a power chair friendly van and an over the bed lift for when it is needed. He is now able to transfer to the dentist chair but I have to drive the chair. Medical visits are a challenge but I talk to them in advance. The worst has been bone density tests as there is no rrom for the lift and the table is too high for him to safely transfer. We need serious muscle to assist in that transfer. Ry has leg strength but no ballance so he can help but needs help. He is also full sized at 6 feet and 180 pounds so it is nore than I can do alone.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I bought a used Molift 150 from ebay. It has been great for travel, as it folds up nicely. I bought the travel case for it.

Those in AZ have access to this workshop on ADA healthcare accessibility regulations this coming Tuesday. Too bad they are not doing it as a webinar that those living more distant could attend:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/you-hav...ts-23115819037

Arizona Center for Disability Law
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016
    The Arizona Center for Disability Law in collaboration with Ability360 will be conducting training for persons with disabilities to answer these questions and more. This free training will provide information on the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it applies to healthcare providers. The training will also provide information about legal requirements for accessible healthcare equipment (exam tables, weighing scales, x-ray machines, etc.). In addition, the training will provide strategies for obtaining accessibility and reasonable accommodations from your health care providers.
    The Arizona Center for Disability Law in collaboration with Ability360 will be conducting training for persons with disabilities to answer these questions and more. This free training will provide information on the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it applies to healthcare providers. The training will also provide information about legal requirements for accessible healthcare equipment (exam tables, weighing scales, x-ray machines, etc.). In addition, the training will provide strategies for obtaining accessibility and reasonable accommodations from your health care providers.

(KLD)