Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People that regularly use ramps please opine...

People that regularly use ramps please opine...

It looks like my work had a change of plan regarding the eviction of our group out of our current clubhouse. Initially the plan was to totally screw us and dump us in the middle of downtown Chicago, but now another location has appeared. I have yet to head over there and personally check out the situation, but thought I would seek out some opinions about this ramp pictured from Google Streetview. I have like, zero, experience using ramps, so what do you guys think of this? To be used year round, through rain, sleet, and snow (with lax snow removal most likely). A real PITA for daily usage? Or pretty easy? (manual chair user here)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The grade of ramp looks ok but I believe ADA stipulates a flat landing (for rest) after a specified number of feet of ramp. The real key here is will they maintain ramp snow and ice free. Also where will you park and will there be cleared sidewalks from parking to the ramp. The last place I worked before retirement parking was in a lot across the street from building. The lot was well cleared of snow as was the sidewalk from lot to cross walk. The problem was always the street that had to be crossed. Often it wasn't plowed or was plowed and there was a resulting snowbank at crosswalk. My boss would often be out shoveling a path across the street when I arrived. Can management tell you where you will park and will your path from parking be maintained as well as the ramp. Hope there will be adequate gimp parking because as we know the AB population often discover their inner gimp when it snows or rains.

Blog Entries
    It's long but there is a flat like half way up if you're a weezer. Might qualify as "exercise" hitting that thing a few times a day, but it looks pretty normal to me. On the bright side, going down it will be easy peasy lemon squeezy. Covered in snow? Not possible. Would have to be cleared and salted for traction. Any ice or snow renders ramps dangerous and almost useless.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Yeah, snow and ice removal probably wont be a real priority, or correspond well to my start or quitting time. I guess there is handrail to drag myself up by ???. Parking was described as 'getting a handicapped spot in front', which would indicate they will try to get the city to put a HC spot on the street in front. I don't drive a van, so I told my boss I'll just park in back, don't want to get hit by a car. Now that 'in back' involves going down that alley on the left, behind the building and parking behind where that pointy shaped building is located on the right of the photo. Might be interesting with a wet snow for sure.

Where we are now I installed a garage door remote operator on the garage door for indoor parking. (there's like room for 10 vehicles in that building...with no vehicles assigned there ). It will be quite the wakeup call at this place I think.

This place elicits less immediate retirement response in me than the last proposed location, but still...

Unfortunately the 2 corporate real estate people involved have such hubris regarding being 'in charge of real estate', they don't feel the need to talk to me regarding this dance for a wheelchair accessible workplace. From what I am hearing it would be much cheaper to just ask me what adaptations I would need, vs. getting all crazy with what they think should be done. But so it goes, maybe the inside will be pretty nice post-remodel, and since that building has like probably 3 people assigned to it, parking in back shouldn't be a problem. They did make a point of saying that rear lot is not for the rest of the group, but that will get ignored real quick, lol. Makes no sense, seemed like a power play.

Maybe if it stops raining today I'll take a ride there to check it out

Blog Entries
    Yeah, you could probably do it, with some snow, but it would be tough and potentially dangerous. The hand rail pull is valid technique going up, and would help going down, too. It will suck though. Snow in the alley will be a bigger obstacle! Maybe it seems worse than it is since I rarely deal with snow, but my house ramp with a couple inches gets dicey!!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

The shit part is trying to carry your lunch bag, man-purse (lol) and whatever other crap you've got to carry with you to go into work with ... good luck wheeling up that long ramp with THAT and not dropping anything!

I think you'll get tired real quick of parking around back, wheeling up and then doing the ramp. Especially in snow.

'Course you could tell them you need accommodation re ZX-1.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Is it this steep: https://www.google.com/maps/place/RE...c2053f!6m1!1e1

That ramp to one of my favorite stores is a bitch without using power assist or being pushed.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

So I'm getting the feel this might not be that good. I know just the Home Depot parking lot can be annoying at times especially on those days my arms are sore from overuse. And that is nothing like this ramp. Hmmm.

Well, still raining, so maybe next weekend I'll take a trip there. Although, Tennessee does still sound like a nice future residence, lol.

That ramps looks good to me. Not too steep at all. The railing looks helpful too - I often grab a railing and pull up a ramp.

I travel a fair amount for work, and some of the places I work have a ramp of that magnitude. I'm willing to put up with it for a couple of weeks at a time, but I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to do that every day, every week, every month for the long term.