Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Chair Docking System..EZ Lock or Q-straint QLK-150...need opinion/review please

Question Power Chair Docking System..EZ Lock or Q-straint QLK-150...need opinion/review please

C5-6 Quad for 35+years. Always used transfer seat, but shoulder problems now require change to driving from power chair.

I've done LOT'S of research & looks like the Q-straint QLK-150 has higher clearance mounting options, 1.5"-4" depending on chair, than EZ-Lock. Plus the OLK-150 has anti-tip built into their chair plate, while the EZ-Lock has another separate "hook" to deal with.
    I "off-road" in my chair often & not happy about bolts & plates underneath to get hung-up onbut will have to deal with it.

Getting install quotes, one dealer said QLK-150 was great & another said it had "issues" so no longer installed. Not sure if "issues" were QLK-100, 150 or both?

So, before I drop $1k or so for one, I could really use some user feedback to help clear things up.

Also, I've always used right angle hand controls, but considering the Push-Rock which look interesting.
    If you are a Quad using Push/Rock chime in too.

THX

You are correct to be concerned about clearance. The EZ-lock pin (high grade bolt) mounted to my Permobil C500 scrapes on nearly everything. It limits my off road ability especially on rocky services, you can actually become high centered. You can generally plow through dirt and gravel paths but there is always the risk that something will catch the pin and stop you dead in your tracks. You also have to be careful about rolling over large extension cords and garden hoses, it can be extremely annoying.

THX QJ...that's pretty darn low! Permobile has their own "proprietary" lock down with retractable bolt actuator. Cool design, but pricey & don't believe (from searching) it will work on other chairs. DME tech's these days haven't a clue about chairs they recommend, just want to sell something & disappear! Most mid-wheels have LOW clearance, so I usually get rear drive or hybrid's have more clearance. Trade-off for turning, but platform footrest's help with turning radius. NO power chairs I know of have 4" clearance, so that QLK-150 option must be for manual chairs.

Thanks again.

I just had the QLK-150 installed in my T Sienna. I like the way the anti tip is built in and I like that it has been crash tested. They do offer raised bases of different heights so the lockdown can be raised as high as your chair will allow. So far I like it. The button pad is very nice. Thin and flexible so it can be mounted in many places. Seems like the QLK-100 is more similar to the EZ-Lock.

I had the Permobil version on my last van. Great idea, POS. They discontinued it about a year ago. Not surprising. I would avoid any leftover units like the plague.

I am using the MPD push/rock control. Seems to be a little more precise than the Sure-Grip. My opinion. They are very easy to operate. The model I have has the reconfigured gas linkage which ends any knee conflict. I really like the removable control handle. When my wife occasionally drives the van she likes that the knob is not next to the steering wheel. Additionally it prevents service people from attempting to drive with the hand controls.

RoJo...much appreciated. The one piece on chair of the QLK-150 is the reason I'm tending towards it. Only 1 connection to worry about under chair instead of 2 on EZ-Lock. If Q'straint could incorporate a retractable bolt in the QLK-150, it would be the ultimate dock system IMHO.

Push/rock...good feedback on mfg, thx. See we are about the same age, but nothing on your disability/injury? Is this your first push-rock control, used right angle in past? I'm a C5-6 & believe I have enough "tension" in my fingers for push/rock IF "rock" is not too hard, strong tension. Hard to tell, but from video's the push-rock appear to take less effort.

I might need to start a separate thread for more responses on hand controls.

C6-7, more 6 on the hand control side. The MPD's require very little effort and are adjustable for that. My first controls were MPS push/ right angle. It's what I was told to get. Second switched to SureGrip. I liked them but they seemed to have too much "play" in the linkage for me. I am happy with the MPD push/rock. They offer several handle types. I chose the reverse teardrop shade as it fits in my palm well. The knob has some grip to it. The Suregrip knob was too smooth for me. I wrapped it with tennis racket grip tape. That worked well providing much better grip and a bit of cushioning.

Great info...thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RoJo View Post
    C6-7, more 6 on the hand control side. The MPD's require very little effort and are adjustable for that. My first controls were MPS push/ right angle. It's what I was told to get. Second switched to SureGrip. I liked them but they seemed to have too much "play" in the linkage for me. I am happy with the MPD push/rock. They offer several handle types. I chose the reverse teardrop shade as it fits in my palm well. The knob has some grip to it. The Suregrip knob was too smooth for me. I wrapped it with tennis racket grip tape. That worked well providing much better grip and a bit of cushioning.

May I chime in on the clearance issue? As we are new englanders that have snow and mud season plus a driveway curb to jump, ground clearance is a major issue and cannot live with low ground clearance. The other way to solve clearance issue is from the van side: Mount the locking mechanism on metal plates to lift it off the van floor as high as possible. Mount the "pin" on the underside of the chair as high as possible. Make sure you use high strength bolts and metal for your blocking (wood) under the floor mechanism as it has to be able to withstand large forces in the event of a collision.

Best,
    Engineermom2

Thx emom...the QLK-150 is supposed to have different height bases according to chair make/mfg at 1.5 to 4", so hopefully no extra mods needed.

+1 on the QLK-150. I have it on my Permobil M300 and Toyota. Works great!