Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Wroclaw Walk Again Project

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I hope soon there will be a way to even avoid the need of implanting cells.
    I personally believe it's already here with transcutaneous stimulation. It has been shown to work. This doesn't seem to get too much press here though. We shouldn't rule this out. Something is happening internally via stimulation if function is returning, not just through pattern generators but through the brain communicating with neural circuitry below the level of the injury site. If transcutaneous is as good as (or equivalent to) epidural stimulation, then we have a non-surgical approach, which I think is ready for clinics/hospitals - going beyond endless trials.

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    I really agree with you. And I am hoping it becomes available sooner than later on a wide-scale basis for people. Especially people with incomplete injuries that maybe a good push in this direction can help as opposed to needing the cells.

I think a big part of the problem is availability and length of time rehabbing. Doing something 3 days a week for an hour a day for a couple of months is really a drop in the bucket. If we are going to get people really moving, we need to be walking more than we are sitting, getting our asses zapped

I'm about to start a trial over the next few weeks that I'm hoping really shows some results. But even if it does, it will be minimal because it's only 3 days a week for 5 weeks...

If I feel stronger, walk better, improve in places, what next? Wait another 5 years until it becomes more available???

It's a bit disheartening. If things are helping people they need a way to get it to the people quicker so they can get their quality of life back. That is why I am really liking what I'm seeing out of Japan in letting the people choose to get procedures done that might not be fully approved...