Thread: Colonoscopy Prep

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete

Colonoscopy Prep

Have been having trouble with iron levels dropping to severe lows - I am currently on blood thinners for a history of PEs so I see a Hematologist regularly. Since I am consistently testing for low iron, in spite of having iron infusions, he thinks I need a colonoscopy and endoscopy to rule out a GI bleed. I have no visible signs of blood in my stool, but have tested positive to microscopic signs. I have consulted a GI and he has given me a prep to do prior to the test. He won't do the endoscopy without doing the colonoscopy. I have had a colonoscopy in the past so I know how violent the BM can be as a result of the prep. My current BP is done in bed using the magic bullet suppository, with digi stim and the assistance of a home health care worker. I know most of you do not do your BP from the bed, but that is how it is done here, so please no snarky remarks. Ok with that being said, are there any suggestions how to complete this prep without making a complete mess? I would like to rule in or out there being a GI issue that could be causing the iron deficiency.

I understand. I went through hell my 1st colonoscopy. I opted to do a 5 day fast for my second and ignore all the "prep" advice.

Thanks KSpell - I never considered that - I will present that to my GI as an option

my doc relinquished to the fact they he has no idea what it takes to manage a nuerogenic bowel, & that I know my body better than he does. besides a good fast will reset a lot of systems

I'm not sure anyone, other then those with neurogenic bowel, know exactly what it takes to manage. I've tried to explain to many of my doctors and they just give me the deer in the headlights stare....

You must be totally cleaned out or they will repeat it. Use the prep but I would set up caregivers with diapers and lots of pads for the 24 hour it is working as there is pretty much constant movement.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by Treeza04 View Post
    Have been having trouble with iron levels dropping to severe lows - I am currently on blood thinners for a history of PEs so I see a Hematologist regularly. Since I am consistently testing for low iron, in spite of having iron infusions, he thinks I need a colonoscopy and endoscopy to rule out a GI bleed. I have no visible signs of blood in my stool, but have tested positive to microscopic signs. I have consulted a GI and he has given me a prep to do prior to the test. He won't do the endoscopy without doing the colonoscopy. I have had a colonoscopy in the past so I know how violent the BM can be as a result of the prep. My current BP is done in bed using the magic bullet suppository, with digi stim and the assistance of a home health care worker. I know most of you do not do your BP from the bed, but that is how it is done here, so please no snarky remarks. Ok with that being said, are there any suggestions how to complete this prep without making a complete mess? I would like to rule in or out there being a GI issue that could be causing the iron deficiency.
    I've had 2 colonoscopies and was prepped for them using the PIE machine that my doctor had in his office. For starters, you might try reaching out to the company and ask if there are any docs in your area who have a PIE, though the likelihood of this is low. Alternatively, you might consider having a colonic done on the day of your procedure but be careful to find someone who is extremely competent -- this is something that should be discussed with your doc first.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I've had 2 colonoscopies and was prepped for them using the PIE machine that my doctor had in his office. For starters, you might try reaching out to the company and ask if there are any docs in your area who have a PIE, though the likelihood of this is low. Alternatively, you might consider having a colonic done on the day of your procedure but be careful to find someone who is extremely competent -- this is something that should be discussed with your doc first.
    I don’t think it was smart to call a machine for shitting after a food.

Just did one recently. Used Moviprep, two sessions, one at about noon, the other at about 8 o'clock at night. Eat light starting two days before, including low fiber, which makes it harder to clean out. Day of the prep just a small breakfast. Finish off first batch of drink. Wait about an hour and then get on the commode chair. Try to get out most of it over the next hour and a half to two hours. Took many digitals to open up the faucet. You shouldn't sit on the chair any longer.

Drink plenty of water, broth throughout the day. My instructions allowed for one Ensure the day of the prep. Take a break for the afternoon and start up again in the early evening, repeating the process. Finally, get into bed on about five layers of chux, as overnight it will continue to come out. Doing it this way allows the caregiver to simply pull out the top layer and throw it out, leaving a fresh layer already in place. Do a digital the next morning just to be sure any remaining loose material drops down. You will need assistance overnight as it will be a mess.

Finally, go to the home improvement store and get a roll of 4 foot wide plastic sheeting. Cut it and lay down a protected path from the bathroom to your changing area, bed, etc. since should something blowout while in transit on the commode chair you don't want to ruin your carpet or flooring.

crags, excellent advice! Some people also choose to wear an adult diaper for the latter part of the prep. It is also important to protect your skin from the stool...we use 3M No Sting Cavilon Barrier Film spray for this.

(KLD)