Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: portable poly ramp lightweight

Thumbs up portable poly ramp lightweight

I worked in an industrial factory prior to my injury, and we used these for material handling purposes . Since I just found one at a second hand store and picked it up fairly cheap I figured I'd share as others might need something like this. Its 27" wide by 27" long by 4" high and has a weight capacity of 1,000 lbs and itself only weighs 9 lbs ... Its made by eagle model 1794 and i've seen it for sale between $55-$80 online ...

I've used it for mostly going up 1 step homes and store fronts that normally i would have to drag a heavier bulky metal folding suitcase style ramp ... And might just take it on my cruise since i can use it to get in alot of the stores on the Caribbean islands as they mostly have a step i cant get up with my power chair ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you are in a chair just how do you deploy and retrieve this after you use it ? "I" made a ramp for the one step situation. We often rent a house or suite for family holiday get together's, no matter what they say about wheelchair accessibility, the front one step is usually the killer. Just one step, it might as well be Mount Everest. But I must have someone with me to deploy it, as well as retrieve it after I actually use it.

Where can I find the one in your photo?

I have been looking at these recently. I do have a set of suitcase ramps, they are 4' long made of aluminum and fold up but they can be bulky and a bit heavy. When we travel and a hotel bed is too high we use a 4 X 4 block of wood to prop the ramps up on next to the bed then I back my power chair up the ramp to raise my seat up 4" and it's easier to transfer.
    ^^(A)^^

I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks for sharing this post. That's ideal to carry in your trunk. I have come into many instances where this would have helped when out on the town. I am going to invest in one of those to carry in my trunk.

Thanks Man this can be very useful for me...
    ^^(A)^^

Is it 27" between the rails? I see on Amazon it list the size as 27" wide but it looks like the rails would take up 2" of that.

spinner , its 24" between the rails !

Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    Is it 27" between the rails? I see on Amazon it list the size as 27" wide but it looks like the rails would take up 2" of that.

Bob , I'd say you'd still need help deploying this one even though its light ... Some might be able to but it your functionally challenged in the hands or core you will need someone to deploy and retrieve it ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    If you are in a chair just how do you deploy and retrieve this after you use it ? "I" made a ramp for the one step situation. We often rent a house or suite for family holiday get together's, no matter what they say about wheelchair accessibility, the front one step is usually the killer. Just one step, it might as well be Mount Everest. But I must have someone with me to deploy it, as well as retrieve it after I actually use it.

Most of the reviews I have seen say it's slippery, both to roll up on and it tends to slip off a step or where ever it's used.
    ^^(A)^^