Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to not get infections?

Silver is antibacterial. Results are mixed but it has helped some but not all prevent UTI's.
    CWO

Blog Entries
    oh yeah, I know it is certainly not The Answer by any means. Just one more weapon in our arsenal to try. I have still gotten UTIs using them. It is just a constant battle!
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Silver is antibacterial. Results are mixed but it has helped some but not all prevent UTI's.
    CWO

Thanks for mentioning the Silver foleys. We have wondered about them. Honestly, if you are only changing the foley once a month anyway, it may be worth the extra money if its anti-bacterial properties are helpful. So Peders, thanks for sharing your experience with the silver foleys. Let us know how long you have been using them, and how your UTI frequency has changed if at all.

Gentamicin instillations may help you too.

No one has studied the use of silver impregnated catheters in people who use them long term. The studies showing them to be effectives have been limited to no more than 20 days of use (in hospitalized patients with temporary indwelling catheters).

(KLD)

Have you tried D Mannose? I buy the Swanson brand on Amazon, and IMO they work better for me than cranberry capsules. Don't know what your bugs are, tho. D Mannose is effective against e coli as a preventative. Keep up the good work!

Drink drink and more drink. I have 12 to 14 drinks per day that's almost 1 every hour I am awake. Not had a UTI for almost 12 months. Also I take cefalexin antibiotic for 3 days before each cath change.

Not true!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon View Post
    With an indwelling cath/ you basically always have a bug going dude.. the bladder isn't designed to have a foreign spigit hanging out in it.. your just going through early stage, I know even 3 years, it finally learns to cope w/ some them more buggers residing in there..
    Stay on guard duty knock em dead soldier haha
    Not true!

I've been injured 29 years this Purim and 24 of those years I used a foley full time. I can't tell you the last time I had a uti that I had to see the doctor for an antibiotic; 8, 9, 10 years ago +. It's how you take care of it and protect it from bacteria that keeps you uti free.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Don't confuse colonization with bacteria with infection. The former is nearly always present in those with indwelling catheters, but does not qualify as an infection in someone with a SCI.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Not true!

I've been injured 29 years this Purim and 24 of those years I used a foley full time. I can't tell you the last time I had a uti that I had to see the doctor for an antibiotic; 8, 9, 10 years ago +. It's how you take care of it and protect it from bacteria that keeps you uti free.

Ti
    It is very true, he is exactly right the body is not designed to have a foreign object in it and there will always be bacteria colonize there, any urologist with knowledge on this Will tell you that. Doesn't necessarily mean you need antibiotics though so for us because we are paralyzed and have no choice but to use foreign objects therefore we have to except that we will be colonized by bacteria in the bladder in our case not necessarily an infection

Quote Originally Posted by Catheterguy View Post
    Drink drink and more drink. I have 12 to 14 drinks per day that's almost 1 every hour I am awake. Not had a UTI for almost 12 months. Also I take cefalexin antibiotic for 3 days before each cath change.
    Seems to be the most effective method, but if I even slip up a little bit and don't drink for a couple hours I'll get an infectionjust have to tolerate the sides until it gets bad enough. The real kicker is night time when I'm asleep or in bed where it's hard to get water that's time when bacteria can strike without being constantly flushed

Jesus do you change the catheter once a month? I'm so sick of taking antibiotics they're very harsh on the body for the best of us! So for us that are paralyzed where our body is already decaying from paralysisit just does double triple damage, makes it impossible (well even more so) to prevent the rot