Thread: Gentamican bladder flush

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Gentamican bladder flush

They want me to start a 30ml Gentamican flush into my bladder through my SP catheter.. It's trying to stop the UTI's I keep getting. The Gentamican comes right after two 60ml Salene flushes. I never heard of this before. I would like some pro's and con's on the Gentamican flush. How long can be done? I don't have a UTI now. Thank you

My Dad uses this. He doesn't have a SP. He does intermittent cath. After 7 years of doing CIC with the occasional UTI, things started getting worse. 7 UTI's in a row in 2014, all different bugs, each getting more resistant to antibiotics, hospitalized twice in early 2015. He switched to a new urologist after his old one moved away. She is a SCI/neuro-urology expert. She put him on two 30ml Gentamicin flushes a day. He doesn't do the two saline flushes first, but you probably need those because of your SP catheter. It broke his string of UTIs. He hasn't had one in one year. Doing the flushes now is part of his daily routine, and isn't too annoying for him. He hasn't had any side effects, or Gentamicin resistant infections. At his next appointment, his urologist may decrease the frequency of the flushes. She told us that most people taper off them over time, if they are started for frequent UTIs. His physiatrist also has a few patients that continue to use them long term.

My Dad started the flushes in between UTIs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    My Dad uses this. He doesn't have a SP. He does intermittent cath. After 7 years of doing CIC with the occasional UTI, things started getting worse. 7 UTI's in a row in 2014, all different bugs, each getting more resistant to antibiotics, hospitalized twice in early 2015. He switched to a new urologist after his old one moved away. She is a SCI/neuro-urology expert. She put him on two 30ml Gentamicin flushes a day. He doesn't do the two saline flushes first, but you probably need those because of your SP catheter. It broke his string of UTIs. He hasn't had one in one year. Doing the flushes now is part of his daily routine, and isn't too annoying for him. He hasn't had any side effects, or Gentamicin resistant infections. At his next appointment, his urologist may decrease the frequency of the flushes. She told us that most people taper off them over time, if they are started for frequent UTIs. His physiatrist also has a few patients that continue to use them long term.

My Dad started the flushes in between UTIs.

We haven't started doing this but I saw several read a research article where it is routinely done on children.. Long term users. Cwo