15 71.43%
  • Remain Disable

4 19.05%
  • Hard to say

2 9.52%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Would you rather...

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yeah, I reckon it was. It's a bit of a sore spot for me, and probably has more than a little to do with my attitude towards my SCI.

While I was off having my "grand adventure" my wife was home with our kids. Between the ages of ~25-35 I was either at work 10-12 hours a day or out on the road. Even when I wasn't on an "adventure trip" I was still riding. Every weekend to the Blue Ridge Parkway or some other favorite road or trail in the mountains. I took the long way going EVERYWHERE. A simple trip to the corner market would take me an hour or two, at least. I got my SCI on a "lunch break" from work (on a Sunday...when I was the only one in the office...) to squeeze in a quick 100km to Knotts Island and back.

Meanwhile, 1...2...3...eventually 4 kids later...where the fuck was I?!?!? Not at home. Not being a dad. Not being a husband. Sure, I thought making lots of money and "providing" for their material needs was my role as "Dad" and "husband", but, boy, was I wrong! I was an "absentee" father/husband in almost every sense of the term, except I stopped by to sleep (and obviously make more babies!)

When I returned from that space between life and death, lying pinned to the road, that fateful day (10 years ago next week), I knew several things INSTANTLY. The first was that I was paralyzed. Hard to miss that. The second was that it was my fault. While I WAS run over from behind (waiting to make a left turn) by a stupid kid talking on a cell phone, I still knew this was ALL my fault. Every choice I had ever made led me to that intersection, that Sunday, at 11:57am (the time my watch was stopped...now framed in a shadow box on my desk), on my trusty R1200GS (only 6 months old but with ~15,000 miles on it already!). EVERY CHOICE led me there. I could have spent another 5 minutes on the toilet that morning and avoided it. I could have decided to go with my family, but I chose MYSELF.

They were at the beach that morning, the first decent day of the year, playing, relaxing, and enjoying themselves. Where the fuck was I?!?!?

Lying on the road, coming to terms with what an ASSHAT I had been, taking everything wonderful about my life completely for granted. I turned a corner that day, one I desperately needed to turn.

So, was all that riding amazing? I guess it was. It was fun and exciting too. It led me to where I am today. I don't hate it, but to answer your question, "No. I don't ride anymore."

That kind of lifestyle is never remotely for me, and won't be for a long time, maybe never! It would take a lot of Extreme testing myself , Some pretty ridiculous situations ( not possible as a disabled don't ask) until Id have and find anything close to fulfilment,contentment and true self respect and be able to "settle" let alone be interested in such a thing...so I can't possibly understand your rationale, and I won't pretend to! But I understand the concept, as I've said in other threads the biological binding responsibility that is children changes everything! Needless to say good for you because it sounds like you found what I mentioned above for yourself! And that is always a respectable thing!

There is no comparing, no two people are alike, we don't know each other, it's better that way! You write about being this tough guy in a real fight and taking the bullet for someone else. SCI is the opponent now and you refuse to fight. There isn't anything I can write that you won't turn around so I'm out of here, no more posts on this thread. You have SCI, it isn't going to go away, deal with it!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    There is no comparing, no two people are alike, we don't know each other, it's better that way! You write about being this tough guy in a real fight and taking the bullet for someone else. SCI is the opponent now and you refuse to fight. There isn't anything I can write that you won't turn around so I'm out of here, no more posts on this thread. You have SCI, it isn't going to go away, deal with it!
    Simply Living was SCI is not a fight , It's not comparable to combat I've made that explicitly clear! If it was comparable I wouldn't feel so weak and empty. All you've done is repeat yourself, and it's the same thing I've heard again and again from a few other disabled caught in their coping, which is fine just don't speak as if you know best! This isn't Peeling a grape!

" it isn't going anywhere" Says you, someone that . Probably thinks it's impossible or worse it won't help me so why bother, someone that tries convince me that you're fighting Simply by living with a disability, sounds like someone that doesn't know what a real fight is (btw i'm not talking about a simple street fight) that's the easy path that's what everyone does, that's the "possible" path! You're damn right SCI is the opponent So let's actually take it on, not live with it condoned it's continuous spread the only thing that actually resembles fighting would be to work to reverse your disability to actually "fight against it", still doesn't remotely compared to combat or what I truly value as strength but it's the real uphill battle in in the situation, The only acceptable one in my eyes . maybe it won't benefit us but our efforts would surely benefit other people in the future but it sounds like you're just defeated and accept it, if that's the case and you're just living with it don't talk about fighting sci!! i'm sorry to tell you but clear as day you're the one not taking it on! Which is why I find no nobility in it because I see that in most people with high scis. I'm the "naive fool" because I believe sci is going somewhere, I see how much technology has changed in three years, i see actual human trialsthat just need our the affected help! I want to be a part of that whether I put my body on the line, get the money together to get the best treatments and use my body to combine them where as they probably never would be combined! Or if I fail in that regard leave the what money I do make behind to support the cause, emphasize the true sufferingthat is high quadriplegia! That's far better than sitting around independency, just trying to get by sucking the money up in a life I deem undignified and unjustified. But exactly as you said there's no comparison, no two people are a like you see courage and strength in every day accomplishments every day people that's good. I just see things differently!
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 03-07-2016 at 12:42 AM.