• Take the sentence

15 71.43%
  • Remain Disable

4 19.05%
  • Hard to say

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather...

I'd rather live with a spinal cord injury than ALS.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

That is completely random! And has nothing to do with this conversation! But thanks for sharing , since were off that to that path now, reminds me that I'd rather have been diagnosed with terminal cancer given a couple months to live, then have completely obliterated by cervical spinal cord left the pendant the matter what I do. No question, I would go on an incredibly healthy diet exercise and put my body to the limit well traveling, seeing as much of the world I can completely on my own to the most barren, mountainous, Offroad terrains the most humans never see. I'd have Amazingly lively sex when the right moment arrived. Then when It finally became too much I would die where I see fit, and when my Time was over nobody would have carried me because I was incapable, spoonfed me among many other things, but most importantly nobody would've touched my asshole to remove the shit. And I simply would've died as the stubborn, dedicated 20-year-old kid, that would take a bullet for his friends or for a cause, and never turned his back on a fight. By fight I mean a real fight, something the majority of people run from. Not some self concluded empty nonexistent battle to exasperate coping mechanisms, that anyone can do.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 03-03-2016 at 12:25 PM.

This seems to be a no-brainer, 10 years for sure. Hell, as a quad I'd have been out over 35 years already doing what I enjoyed, living a normal life. Now if you turn the question around a little and ask an AB person if they'd rather spend 10 years in prison or 10 years of SCI (for whatever reason) most would likely say SCI because of having your freedom (un be known to them). Further more, prison can't be all that bad when you look at how many repeat offenders there are. On the other hand, if you could get out of SCI after 10 years and knew that if you screwed up again it would be back to another 10 years of SCI, I seriously doubt there would be any takers.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

I am curious why those two people in the poll said they'd prefer SCI. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind that "remain disabled" selection?

I made that three who prefer SCI. I have a family who depends on me, disabled or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon fly View Post
    I am curious why those two people in the poll said they'd prefer SCI. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind that "remain disabled" selection?
    I think "prefer" is not the correct term. It is "given the choice between between SCI and 10 years in jail". I have a family so need be not in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This seems to be a no-brainer, 10 years for sure. Hell, as a quad I'd have been out over 35 years already doing what I enjoyed, living a normal life. Now if you turn the question around a little and ask an AB person if they'd rather spend 10 years in prison or 10 years of SCI (for whatever reason) most would likely say SCI because of having your freedom (un be known to them). Further more, prison can't be all that bad when you look at how many repeat offenders there are. On the other hand, if you could get out of SCI after 10 years and knew that if you screwed up again it would be back to another 10 years of SCI, I seriously doubt there would be any takers.
    Actually no definitely not, in every single pole or forum I've seen (there's lots) of able bodied people that are questioned if they'd rather be dead or paralyzed from the neck down choose death over 80% choose death. So 10 years in prison verse 10 years of being paralyzed from the neck down, Most would take prison especially if they got a good explanation of the full implications of being paralyzed that badly, but it's pretty self-explanatory. If you are badly injured enough in the high cervical area in a lot of ways you really don't have more freedom than A prisoner. For example you may be able to go to the beach, but only if someone takes you so if you're nurses only there to help you in the morning and night, and you have no one else to help out you don't go to the beach until you do, you don't even really leave your house until you do. And let's be realistic there's not much you can do at the beach other than sit in the sun ( unless of course you feel like having someone carry you out in the water (with your cathater) to treat you as a floater) Now on the other hand a prisoner can't go to the beach, or anywhere out of prison but if they decide to get out of bed they do that second, at this side to get in bed they do that second. If they decide to build that muscle they do push-ups that section, go for a jog they do exercise their hearts in their cell so do jumping jacks, experience sexual relief do the do,got to go to the washroom they do on their own in my eyes it all even out.then after 10 years their release, and have full freedom with a healthy body to implement it.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 03-03-2016 at 05:21 PM.

"Pretty sure i'd want to die at that point.I mean, what's the point of living. You're a burden, you're useless and dear god someone has to bathe you"

Oh dear boy has NO idea.
    And this is why I feel like a coward, and that my chair and severe injury is a constant flag of that and dependency.

I would do the 10 years now at 24 years post age 57 to come out at 67 healthy as I am now minus anything SCI related. That being said if my wife did not want me too I would not do it. I have a good life but I also know what it could be, I do not focus on that I focus on what I have....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Actually no definitely not, in every single pole or forum I've seen (there's lots) of able bodied people that are questioned if they'd rather be dead or paralyzed from the neck down choose death over 80% choose death. So 10 years in prison verse 10 years of being paralyzed from the neck down, Most would take prison especially if they got a good explanation of the full implications of being paralyzed that badly, but it's pretty self-explanatory. If you are badly injured enough in the high cervical area in a lot of ways you really don't have more freedom than A prisoner. For example you may be able to go to the beach, but only if someone takes you so if you're nurses only there to help you in the morning and night, and you have no one else to help out you don't go to the beach until you do, you don't even really leave your house until you do. And let's be realistic there's not much you can do at the beach other than sit in the sun ( unless of course you feel like having someone carry you out in the water (with your cathater) to treat you as a floater) Now on the other hand a prisoner can't go to the beach, or anywhere out of prison but if they decide to get out of bed they do that second, at this side to get in bed they do that second. If they decide to build that muscle they do push-ups that section, go for a jog they do exercise their hearts in their cell so do jumping jacks, experience sexual relief do the do,got to go to the washroom they do on their own in my eyes it all even out.then after 10 years their release, and have full freedom with a healthy body to implement it.

Before my SCI I used to put ~20,000 miles a year on my motorcycles. Road them every single day, rain, snow, or shine. My trusty GS scoots carried me from the US east coast to the end of the Alaska/Canada Highway and back, from Paris to Shanghai, and to the tip of South America. I was a fanatic. But the ONE thing EVERYONE in my circle knew about me was that I had ZERO fear of dying on a motorcycle but had told them all if I was ever permanently disabled I might need help ending my life. I feared that over dying, no questions asked.

I had people visit me in the hospital from all over the country. Folks I had met on the road or whom with I shared the passion of being on two wheels (like Clayton). One of my friends rode his bike to Virginia from Anchorage to see me. First thing he asked was, did I want or need help. He let me know he was there for me, damn the consequences.

He wasn't the only one! No less than half a dozen people asked me the same thing over my 2 months in the hospital. Each time, I smiled, looked them right in the eye, and said, "No. I was a fool. I've already dealt my family more than they deserved with my selfishness."

So, yeah, I get it that most AB folks say they'd rather be dead, but they are being foolish, making hollow boasts without a shred of knowledge of what it means, or how they'd feel, if they were in a position to actually make the decision.

We know plenty of people actually disabled that don't have the stones to do it, but want to, so I don't put a bit of weight into a survey about what ABs think.

I'd choose 10 years in jail. I've set my family up well enough to cope with that, and if they knew the reason, they'd agree.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments