15 71.43%
  • Remain Disable

4 19.05%
  • Hard to say

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather...

Would you rather...

So my question is : would you rather serve a full 10 year sentence in a "decent" penitentiary , Starting at the age you were injured. to be released fully able bodied, no criminal record, nobody is the wiser. In prison you could pursue any activities that are provided to well behaved prisoners ( considering you would be well behaved?? Lol). You serve your sentence completely healthy, no motor or sensory impairments at all (or BBS!!). Or would you rather remain "free" injured just as you were, with no hope of recovery for the rest of your life?

For me this is a ridiculous question Id take the jail time hands-down, even with a criminal record. But cause of a friend of mine, my uncle as a guard I have a general idea. For the well-behaved prisoners, they can most importantly EXCERSISE, diet, tv, video game stations, Can study and pursue education that is going to get better as time goes on as well, conjugal visits, some even get access to Internet. Compared to the pathetic dependent lifestyle I'm in now, I'd be scum not to take this option. physically unable to pursue anything I really value Both recreationally and professionally, Limited function and health issues it would be a walk in the park in comparison.The fear, the hardship,The battles I'd Face etc. leading to the mental strength I would build in there would be perfect, The disciplinary practices I would use I'd come out when I was 30 I'd be more ready to be an MMA fighter, Coast Guard or soldier than ever.

What is your answer, if you feel like it post your reasoning
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 03-02-2016 at 01:48 AM.

A long time ago, I had started a thread asking people to add up their paralyzed years. It got up over 1000yrs fairly quickly. Imagine 1000yrs!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Good point there This question popped into my mind too especially when watching some prison movi. I'd even take 20 just to be able bodied again. Been there before so I know it's not the end of the world in prison. You can make your life in there quite decent. At least you'd be keeping your self esteem and get respected even if it's just among other inmates. As a matter of fact I'd live anywhere, I'd go to hell and back just to be myself again.
    Since I got injured up until now I was thinking of all the other possibilities I had right before the injury or life changing choices. Or questions like:
    what if I would've done that?
    what if I would've not done that?
    what if I would've went there? Or not? What if, or I should've, or I shouldn't.
    Just one little different choice and all this was avoided and I didn't have to go through all this.
    Back to the prison question, I did think about that as well, that I should've done something illegal before my injury, get caught, do some time in there 'safe and sound', eventually gotten out and saved myself all this crap. Anyway I know now it's pointless to wreck my head with these thoughts...beside upsetting me more, they can't change anything. I have to concentrate in keeping myself as healthy as possible, slowing down the deterioration as much as I can...

38 years and counting in the chair versus 10 years in prison as an able body? No question, I'd choose prison in a heartbeat.

Although I agree with Silvio GS:
    "Anyway I know now it's pointless to wreck my head with these thoughts...beside upsetting me more, they can't change anything. I have to concentrate in keeping myself as healthy as possible, slowing down the deterioration as much as I can..."

Most times this kind of unrealistic comparison serves no good purpose for me.

I have this sort of thought when healthy looking homeless people ask me for money outside of starbucks. Would I switch and have nothing and a healthy body or have the life I have now? If it wasn't for my kid I would switch in a heartbeat. I guess it is the same for prison, if it was just my life I would do the time (although I have seen ever episode of Lockup, don't think people in prison just hang out and lift weights all day. Weights were taken away in California by Arnold and from what I can tell most people in prison spend 90% of their time in their cell) but if I go to jail she loses a father and my income.

I'm sure I'd take the prison sentence, too.

This is kind of a fun thread. Kudos!
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

It's disheartening to know that murderers get 25-life based on behaviour (in Canada at least).

31yrs. Crime: nothing. Was 12. God so loved the little children. LOL
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I remember when they told me, after my injury, that there would likely be a cure in "5 or 10 years" and how that seemed like a horrifyingly long time (I was 15). I'd probably have been dumb enough to turn down such a "deal." Now I've done over two maximum sentences. Still not quite sure what the crime was.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    I remember when they told me, after my injury, that there would likely be a cure in "5 or 10 years" and how that seemed like a horrifyingly long time (I was 15). I'd probably have been dumb enough to turn down such a "deal." Now I've done over two maximum sentences. Still not quite sure what the crime was.
    I think you nailed it. None of us committed a crime, all of us have a life sentence. Being T-10, I am being treated far more leniently than you. None of it makes sense and we are all dealing with an indifferent, random world. When I met my wife, she shared a book by Carlos Casteneda. I read it and felt what a pack of baloney, but I could not forget one quote, " follow the path that has a heart." It has worked for me for 45 years post injury. As cruel and indifferent as reality can be I find this path works for me. All of us with sci are fighting a great battle, largely unnoticed by the world, still I always remember the curtains blowing into our low income apartment in NYC on a summer day, wheeling together on the boardwalk on Jones Beach, sitting on a farmhouse porch in Walton,NY.

I would not spend one day in prison because i am not guilty. I will stay in this or another chair or a bed until I die but as long as my mind can conceive it I will try to "follow the path that has a heart."

Sign me up!!!!!

Be my luck I get out of prison then get a SCI knowing my luck......lol
    Last edited by Art454; 03-03-2016 at 02:21 AM.
    Art