Thread: Will I lose my benefits if I get married?

Will I lose my benefits if I get married?

I am getting married in July, but now I'm freaking out and thinking I shouldn't because I'll lose my SSDI and Insurance. Can I get legally married without losing my benefits? Does anyone know the laws around this? I'm kinda freaking out and about to call off the wedding. My fiance doesn't have benefits with his job. We'd rather just commit to each other and not make it legal, than risk losing my benefits. Thoughts?

If you are on SSI, you could lose SSI and then Medicaid due to your husband's income post marriage. If you are on SSDI based on your previous work record and have Medicare, marriage would not effect SSDI or Medicare. If you are on SSDI you could win the Powerball lottery and keep your SSDI and Medicare

Blog Entries
    I'm married with both SSDI and LTD insurance benefits along with Medicare. My wife's income situation is irrelevant. No worries. SSI and Medicaid are entirely different, though, and based on family income. If you're indeed receiving SSDI, as you state, then you should be just fine. A quick (or not so quick depending on hold times) call to your SSA office will let you know for absolute certain. Give 'em a call.

(There may be tax implications if you're filing jointly, which may cause you to owe a bit of tax on a % of your SSDI, but with taxes you really need professional advice. With all of this, really. Anonymous info from folks on the interweebs is notoriously unreliable!!)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

The replies above both sound accurate to me. One scenario to consider, is your SSDI from your work activity? Sometimes if individuals become disabled at a young age they can become eligible for SSDI if / when a parent retires. In that instance SSDI eligibility might be effected by marriage. As long as your benefits are based solely on your work activity it should be fine.
    As mentioned above it would be wise to check with a local SSA office.
    Best of luck to you.

SSDI is not income based, so everything above is correct. However if you are on Medicaid or have extra help with Part D you would most likely lose it.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    SSDI is not income based, so everything above is correct. However if you are on Medicaid or have extra help with Part D you would most likely lose it.
    I agree with you Addiesue. In the scenario I mentioned if a person were injured before age 22 ( niclark1's profile indicates she was approx 20 when injured . Correct me if i am wrong niclark..) they may be eligible to collect SSDI on their parents account. In that case someone can loose their SSDI and Medicare benefit through marriage and sometimes work. It is a one time deal, once the person marries no matter what happens they cannot get SSDI again except through their own work record. ( some exceptions for cognitive disabilities)

I doubt and hope that is not the case for niclark1 but better to mention before than after. I have been away from the "disability business" for a while but I have seen a few people loose their benefit and as I mention it's for life when it is based on collecting off parents account.

As others mention above I would suggest checking with SSA office if there is any uncertainty. I'm not an SSA expert only going by what I have seen and these are rather unusual circumstances.

From SSA site:
    "Adults Disabled Before Age 22"

'An adult disabled before age 22 may be eligible for child's benefits if a parent is deceased or starts receiving retirement or disability benefits. We consider this a "child's" benefit because it is paid on a parent's Social Security earnings record.

The "adult child"—including an adopted child, or, in some cases, a stepchild, grandchild, or step grandchild—must be unmarried, age 18 or older, and have a disability that started before age 22.'

From the same page re: impact of marriage on benefits:
    Question:
    "What happens if the adult child gets married?"
    'If he or she receives benefits as an adult disabled since childhood, the benefits generally end if he or she gets married. However, some marriages (for example, to another adult disabled child) are considered protected.'

"Disability Planner: Benefits For A Disabled Child"
    https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disabil...y10.html#&a0=7

I don't mean to complicate your situation niclark1 or cause undo worry but thought it is worth mentioning because of your age. I doubt and hope this does not effect you but it might be worth checking out to make informed decisions.
    If you are receiving SSDI and medicare based solely on your work record none of this should apply to you.