Thread: Handcycle rental in Florida Keys?

Handcycle rental in Florida Keys?

So I'm going to Key Colony Beach and Key West for vacation in a couple months with my AB girlfriend. I've never been to either and would like to do as much exploring "on foot" as possible... whilst sparing my g/f the joy of pushing a full-sized adult in a wheelchair once my shoulders and arms inevitably quit... not to mention sparing my arms and shoulders that same joy. As far as I can tell, in Key Colony, a lot of this exploring will be done via kayak. Awesome!! But it seems that on-bike is the way to do it in Key West. Google has led me to several bike shops in the Keys that do in fact rent bikes, but at first glance, I have not seen any mention of handcycles. If necessary, I will start putting in phone calls to all these establishments, but I figured I would ask around CC in case anyone has already conquered this quest and had a shop or 3 to recommend. Anyone with any wisdom to impart?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

I used to live near Key West and if my wife and I were down in Key West I would hold onto the seat stem of her bike.

I don't think you're going to have much luck with regular bike rental places. You might try adaptive sports organizations (http://www.fdoa.org/, maybe?) or recumbent bike stores.