Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funding for FES bike

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESRRR View Post
    Hey Leatherrbee-

how would you go about getting a used one for next to nothing?

E-bay, Craigslist?

Any suggestions would be great.

See above post. Check with VA centers too, some probably still have the older FES bikes sitting there collecting dust.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Wow, reading this again makes me mad that they want you to take out a $25K loan, unreal. I'll keep my eyes open for a used bike and let you know if I find one. I'm gonna try as hard as I can to help you on this one. Here's another idea, the Kelly Brush Foundation, worth a shot, if you explain the situation they might be able to help out http://kellybrushfoundation.org/gran...rts-equipment/
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Last summer, I got to try an FES bike for the first time. It worked well, completely stopped spasms for several hours, and felt GREAT to have my legs moving again. I went up to Des Moines, about an hour away, every other week for it until the weather got too cold for shorts. We've had a warm stretch, so I have been able to go up a couple times again recently and my legs did great even after the break.

I have been working with Restorative Therapies to try to get my own, but with no luck. The bike is a covered item by my insurance, but they only pay after receiving the machine. Restorative Therapies will only deliver the bike if they have payment before hand, there lies the problem. Insurance won't do a prior approval for it, so neither party will budge.

Restorative Therapies wants me to take out a $25,000 loan to pay for it and hope insurance actually does cover it. Living mainly on SSI, I'm not about to dare try that route. My parents are HIGHLY against asking for donations and will not allow me to use that as a possibility.

So, are their possibilities I'm missing? In 31 years of SCI, I'm used to funding nightmares. I've started to see the benefits of the bike in the little time I've used it and hope to continue.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 03-01-2016 at 01:01 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    ...Actually you get a better workout than the RTI's on the older ones, although you'd have to have help transferring onto it...
    I don't have any hand control, so I need to have my caregiver get the electrodes setup. What are the seats like? I would be afraid of not being able to sit in it and having to try to get a lift to get me in it.

When I started looking at the bike, it was $15k for the model I'm using at the rehab place. My lower legs, especially right, are pretty low on muscle and I wanted to add one more channel for lower leg. That's when the price shot up another $10k, just for the one change. I would be fine with the fewer channel one as well, as long as it's covered. However, I'm guessing the change would require a new doctor's order and my rehab doc left a few months ago.

It isn't RTI that said it's covered by insurance, a customer service person at my insurance found it. I also have a code to check online and indeed FES technologies are covered in my plan. They don't like covering anything else, but it appears this one is.

Thanks for the help Curt and everyone. I'll keep looking for used and post an ad here as well.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Why are your parents against fundraising? Most of us have to for big ticket items.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I would put in a application with a picture of yourself and tell a little bit about yourself to the Kelly Brush foundation. They raise a lot of money through events and they may very well help you out with this sort of thing. Worth a shot.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

We've had this issue before. I'm not sure if it's pride, or what people think of it. I know that they have said that if they asked for help, they don't feel like they could do anything. A scenario put forth is that if my parents ask for help for several thousand dollars, and a few years later get a new vehicle, people will wonder why help was needed. Our house is a normal middle income place, but they think people will wonder if we actually need assistance, why don't we first sell this place and move somewhere smaller and cheaper to afford whatever is needed.

My family and I live in a small community and a lot of people like to gossip. So that's a big part of it. The rest of my week is pretty open, so I'll be working on the suggestions given. Thanks.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.