Thread: C4-5 Quad ? Fractured Tibia

C4-5 Quad ? Fractured Tibia

I am a C4-5 quad. About a week and a half ago I fractured my right tibia, toward the middle of the shin. I didn?t initially realize it was fractured and did not go to the ER until the following morning. After x-rays concluded the fracture, the doctor ordered it be splinted (more or less casted) for the first week and then follow up with orthopedics one week later. Upon my visit to orthopedics, they removed the temporary splint (again, hard cast like), checked the skin for pressure spots (nothing apparent), and replaced with exactly the same style non-removable hard splint. They plan to have me return once a week to do the same (remove, inspect skin, and replace) for the next several weeks. Due to the swelling and limited ability to keep my leg elevated while in my power wheelchair, I?ve been restricted to bedrest and off work since the injury. I?ve been reading on the SCI related forums that it is best treated with a removable that can allow for daily skin checks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ? both in regards to initial and ongoing treatment, as well as expected amount of time I should be off work. Thanks much!

Well yes there are many opinions out there about the best treatment
    having a splint to view the skin daily is ideal especially if there is swelling
    talk to the orthopod about this

Pbr

A few years ago, I spiral fractured my right tibia (caught my toe on a door jam, twist, pop, crack, broken in two places). I was put in a removable cast (what is often referred to as a boot cast). The fractures healed quite well, and while they aren't perfectly aligned, they did heal well and quickly.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    A few years ago, I spiral fractured my right tibia (caught my toe on a door jam, twist, pop, crack, broken in two places). I was put in a removable cast (what is often referred to as a boot cast). The fractures healed quite well, and while they aren't perfectly aligned, they did heal well and quickly.

All the best,
    GJ
    Same here right down to the door jam.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

What made you decide to go to the ER? I'm wondering how you knew it was broken?

The extreme swelling and redness of the lower leg.

They are recommending I be fitted with a custom full leg splint, hinged at the knee to allow for both seated and lying down positions. I’m concerned this will cause problems due to muscle spasms and contractions, especially while lying down. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    Same here right down to the door jam.
    That makes 3 of us.