Thread: Post traumatic tethered cord surgery

Post traumatic tethered cord surgery

Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right forum but I was hoping to find people that have had the surgery and how bad the recovery was and whether it made any difference. I am based in England and am aware that Dr Falci is the man to go to in the States but (un)fortunately I don't meet the SCI criteria for Craig. Was wondering if anyone has had the surgery done in England?

Thank you

What is the criteria at Craig that you don't meet?

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by gittel14 View Post
    Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right forum but I was hoping to find people that have had the surgery and how bad the recovery was and whether it made any difference. I am based in England and am aware that Dr Falci is the man to go to in the States but (un)fortunately I don't meet the SCI criteria for Craig. Was wondering if anyone has had the surgery done in England?

Thank you
    If you have a tethered cord, you make an outpatient appointment at Craig to be evaluated. You don't have to meet inpatient criteria. I saw Dr Falci in August.

https://craighospital.org/programs/r...e-neurosurgery
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I suffered an accident playing soccer April of last year. I then started having symptoms about 6 weeks later and they found a small syrinx. My neurosurgeon in London is of the opinion that I have post traumatic tethered cord but I spoke to Dr Falci's secretary and she said that since I don't officially have a SCI I am not eligible for Craig.

Does anyone know how much an outpatient consultation costs at Craig?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gittel14 View Post
    I suffered an accident playing soccer April of last year. I then started having symptoms about 6 weeks later and they found a small syrinx. My neurosurgeon in London is of the opinion that I have post traumatic tethered cord but I spoke to Dr Falci's secretary and she said that since I don't officially have a SCI I am not eligible for Craig.

Does anyone know how much an outpatient consultation costs at Craig?

Thanks
    You call the number that I posted. Tell the nurse your issues. Then you choose the therapies you want during your evaluation. I had Physical Therapy, seating clinic, Urologist/cystoscopy, and a visit with social worker/therapist. My 20% portion that Medicare did not pay was $335.00

The consultation costs according to what services you request and use. My injury is T12-L3 so my visit was not as intensive as someone with a higher injury and more paralysis.

I was there from Monday to Thursday and stayed in their patient housing.

My consultation with Dr Falci was separate because they couldn't get me in that same week. So I went back in August.

I don't know about your situation but I would call the nurse advice line and ask? It can't hurt. They did ask for documentation of my injury before the scheduled my outpatient visit. I sent them my last primary care visit from my physician and I believe my surgical report where they fused my vertebra.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Well I'm of the opinion that a syrinx is an injury to the spinal cord
    How large is it?
    pbr

That is my syrinx. To be honest it isn't the syrinx itself that concerns me but rather the tethered cord. I have spent months doing research and my symptoms fit that of a tethered cord far more than they do of a syrinx, which makes sense given the size of my syrinx. I have obviously searched this forum for people's experiences of tethered cord surgery but most are from some time a go and was hoping to find people that have had it done more recently.

I tried to post a pic of my syrinx but won't seem to allow me. will try again - http://postimg.org/image/m35hstbkv/

To be honest it isn't really the syrinx that concenrs me, I dont think it is the issue given its size but rather the tethered cord which is causing my symptoms. Given all the research my symptoms seem to fit perfectly with a tethered cord.

I have since spoken to Craig hospital and they are happy to look at my scans and potentially have a consultation with Dr Falci. Unfortunately Dr Falci's secretary explained that surgery would cost in the region of $300,000 which leaves me trying to find anyone that has had the surgery done in England?

I tried to post a pic of my syrinx but won't seem to allow me.

To be honest it isn't really the syrinx that concenrs me, I dont think it is the issue given its size but rather the tethered cord which is causing my symptoms. Given all the research my symptoms seem to fit perfectly with a tethered cord.

I have since spoken to Craig hospital and they are happy to look at my scans and potentially have a consultation with Dr Falci. Unfortunately Dr Falci's secretary explained that surgery would cost in the region of $300,000 which leaves me trying to find anyone that has had the surgery done in England?