Thread: Securing foley catheter to night bag tubing

Securing foley catheter to night bag tubing

My Dad has started cleanly inserting a foley catheter every night, and taking it out the next morning, so he can sleep through the night without getting up to cath. It has improved his quality of life (and sleep) immeasurably.

He is wondering if anyone has a trick for being sure the foley + night bag tubing connection is very secure. He is a strong guy and exerts A LOT of pressure/strength when connecting the two parts, but had a couple episodes where they came unattached in the bed. He sleeps in one position all night on his side.

He has been considering trying to tape it/secure it somehow.

Wipe the male connector on the bag with an alcohol sponge, and put together by twisting. More secure this way than just shoving the male connector into the female end of the catheter. You can tape it though if you want.

(KLD)

You can get bags with a tube that has a lip on it. So when the catheter is pushed on the tube, the catheter slides over the lip. In all my years of using a bag at night the catheter has never slipped off that lip. The other thing I do is use scotch tape and tape the actual tube to my belly. Two long pieces is good but if your dad moves around a lot a night, maybe three pieces if he tries it.

I use a mid quality Bard brand 2000ml catheter bag at night and rinse it out with pure vinegar and then lots of water each morning. I use an old school ketchup squeeze bottle to squeeze the vinegar in the bag tube.

I intermittent cath during the day.

He's a pic of the bottle I use.

Hey! I remember those ketchup and mustard bottles from my childhood!

Thanks for the great advice KLD. Northquad, is there a special name for a bag with that "lip" on the tubing? My Dad uses the Bard 4000ml bags (he makes a lot of urine overnight...)?

Also, for those folks putting their own foleys in, using "clean technique", would appreciate hearing about your techniques for managing the connecting to the bag step. You almost don't have enough hands to do this "cleanly" and it can be a bit awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Also, for those folks putting their own foleys in, using "clean technique", would appreciate hearing about your techniques for managing the connecting to the bag step. You almost don't have enough hands to do this "cleanly" and it can be a bit awkward.
    You might use a catheter plug inserted into the funnel end of the catheter to keep urine from running out once the catheter reaches the bladder. Leave the plug in place only long enough to insert the catheter and inflate the balloon. Have the clean bag with tubing and connector close by, wipe the connector with an alcohol swab, remove the plug and connect the bag to the catheter.

My Dad has started cleanly inserting a foley catheter every night, and taking it out the next morning, so he can sleep through the night without getting up to cath. It has improved his quality of life (and sleep) immeasurably.

He is wondering if anyone has a trick for being sure the foley + night bag tubing connection is very secure. He is a strong guy and exerts A LOT of pressure/strength when connecting the two parts, but had a couple episodes where they came unattached in the bed. He sleeps in one position all night on his side.

He has been considering trying to tape it/secure it somehow.
    Tubing Connector Styles and catheter plug:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting. It could work.

I am a little worried about him inserting the catheter all the way... putting the balloon up... and then trying to connect the tubing with so little "slack" on the foley. He really pushes (now twists) the two parts to connect, and already often pulls the foley out all the way (by accident) while doing the connection.

But it is worth a careful try.

Thanks.

Hey! I remember those ketchup and mustard bottles from my childhood!

Thanks for the great advice KLD. Northquad, is there a special name for a bag with that "lip" on the tubing? My Dad uses the Bard 4000ml bags (he makes a lot of urine overnight...)?
    I always connect the tube to the catheter before inserting the catheter. Once connected to the tube, I push the catheter basically all the way in my unit/bladder before injecting the water into the balloon, to ensure the balloon doesn't inflate inside the urethra.

To take the catheter out in the morning, I use a blue pad to put the catheter into directly after taking it out. I keep the catheter connected to the tube, I deflate the balloon, stick the catheter in the blue pad and set the entire blue pad, along with the tube and bag in a Rubbermade dishpan that I always have sitting directly below the hanging bag just in case the bag ever fails. I've avoided messes doing this from day one of using an overnight bag.

There are flip valves that you can attach to the catheters. Flip Flow Valve But I haven't used them.

The only other word I can think of in place of "lip" would be a "flange" on the connecting end of the Bard catheter bags. I'm really not sure what Bard uses for a description. But to narrow down which Bard bag I use, the connecting end of the tube is clear and one piece with the tube. If I can find the model number later, I'll post it.