Thread: Floor cleaning, need help

Floor cleaning, need help

I have laminate floors and I need an easy to mop them without resorting to a Roomba or a cleaning person.

What at is the easiest way for to clean my floors?
    Never Give Up!

Your injury level would probably be useful to provide more helpful information.

Would a Swiffer Sweeper / WetJet work for you? They come in a variety, either with dry cloths, wet cloths, or you can also buy one that has refillable fluid bottles and stick-on pads. They are generally available at large box stores, too, like WalMart or Target.

I also use a Dirt Devil Spray & Mop combo. It works in much the same way as a Swiffer but the pads are reusable (just throw them in the machine washer with your other laundry). I need about 3-4 pads to do a 900-1200 sq ft house. It is also nice because the fluid container can be filled with any cleaning fluid you like: PineSol or other commercially available products, or I just use bleach + water mix on my tile floors. The fluid container is somewhat fragile and falls off, causing messes on occasion, but I can fix that by taping or using a couple of Velcro straps if it's being a particular pest at that time.

Dirt Devil also makes a Vac & Dust model that sucks up small dirt - I haven't found it to be worthwhile. I live in a busy house with AB's tracking in a lot of dirt and small rocks, so prefer to pull out the Dirt Devil Breeze full size vacuum (around $40-50), or a Bissell AeroSwift (around $70). I prefer the Dirt Devil Breeze, but kept breaking belts and am not capable of replacing those on my own. The Bissell AeroSwift has yet to need a belt, but has a smaller dirt container that almost constantly needs dumped (at least 2 times throughout my house, in comparison to the Dirt Devil's 1-2 times. However, I'm keeping the service dog!) The Bissell AeroSwift also does better in a carpet / tile combo house, whereas the Dirt Devil Breeze really doesn't do well on carpet or rugs (tile is best).

Despite the presence of my service dog, I haven't made the financial leap for a pet / dog oriented vacuum yet; I find these vacuums to be just fine at meeting my needs, and they conserve my budget.

I am on the lookout for other mops, and perhaps a steam cleaner...but haven't decided it's important enough to really research yet, and continue using the Swiffer / Dirt Devil Spray & Mop as needed. With so many AB's tracking over my clean floor, even vacuuming doesn't seem worth it at times, much less the effort to mop!!

Hope this helps!
    Mystery

Shark steam cleaner. Canadian Tire.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I use a regular mop sometimes, but mostly a Shark steam cleaner, C6/C7.

mop but my caretaker vacuums I have rough old concrete floors I mope where the tile is

Thanks!
    Never Give Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Would a Swiffer Sweeper / WetJet work for you? They come in a variety, either with dry cloths, wet cloths, or you can also buy one that has refillable fluid bottles and stick-on pads. They are generally available at large box stores, too, like WalMart or Target.

I also use a Dirt Devil Spray & Mop combo. It works in much the same way as a Swiffer but the pads are reusable (just throw them in the machine washer with your other laundry). I need about 3-4 pads to do a 900-1200 sq ft house. It is also nice because the fluid container can be filled with any cleaning fluid you like: PineSol or other commercially available products, or I just use bleach + water mix on my tile floors. The fluid container is somewhat fragile and falls off, causing messes on occasion, but I can fix that by taping or using a couple of Velcro straps if it's being a particular pest at that time.

Dirt Devil also makes a Vac & Dust model that sucks up small dirt - I haven't found it to be worthwhile. I live in a busy house with AB's tracking in a lot of dirt and small rocks, so prefer to pull out the Dirt Devil Breeze full size vacuum (around $40-50), or a Bissell AeroSwift (around $70). I prefer the Dirt Devil Breeze, but kept breaking belts and am not capable of replacing those on my own. The Bissell AeroSwift has yet to need a belt, but has a smaller dirt container that almost constantly needs dumped (at least 2 times throughout my house, in comparison to the Dirt Devil's 1-2 times. However, I'm keeping the service dog!) The Bissell AeroSwift also does better in a carpet / tile combo house, whereas the Dirt Devil Breeze really doesn't do well on carpet or rugs (tile is best).

Despite the presence of my service dog, I haven't made the financial leap for a pet / dog oriented vacuum yet; I find these vacuums to be just fine at meeting my needs, and they conserve my budget.

I am on the lookout for other mops, and perhaps a steam cleaner...but haven't decided it's important enough to really research yet, and continue using the Swiffer / Dirt Devil Spray & Mop as needed. With so many AB's tracking over my clean floor, even vacuuming doesn't seem worth it at times, much less the effort to mop!!

Hope this helps!
    Mystery
    Thank Mystery! I'm now on the look out for DD Spray n Mop.
    Never Give Up!

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I've used about everything listed. I've used a straight sponge mop, then switched to a string mop and one of those big janitor buckets. Those were quite difficult as my wheels would get wet and my chair would go everywhere once I got my tires wet so I tried the swifter. I'd go broke using the swifter as my whole house is hardwood floors and the trow away pads are expensive and it would take half a dozen to do the whole house. The shark steam cleaner just smears the dirt around, doesn't really clean it, and I go through several pads and still have a dirty floor, it is just evenly dirty afterwards. I now use the Hoover floormate and it takes me forever, but seems easiest and actually cleans the floors, even sucks the crap out of the cracks.

I have found that the Hover Floormate is the way to go I have been using one since about a year after my accident and I am on my second one. I am a C 6/7 but have fairly good arms and hands so using this machine is not a big deal for me. I use it at least twice a week in the winter and at least once a week in other months. The thing scrubs the floor and sucks up the dirty water all at the same time so you never have dirty water left on the floor they cost about $125 new but I have bought both of mine off Ebay for around $ 100 dollars. The thing has been a life saver for me but I don't know if it is what you are looking for or not