Thread: Apartments

Apartments

I'm looking to get my own place here soon, preferably an apartment. I lived in one for a little while a long time ago but it was not accessible so I never got to get in the shower or really get in the bathroom there. Do accessible apartments have roll in showers? Or counters I can roll under?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Some do, not many.

I've been doing a fair bit of apartment hunting myself (mostly theoretical, though I will have to move somewhere in the next few months). As far as I am able to tell an "accessible apartment" can mean a wide variety of things. To some people it seems to mean a third floor apartment with no elevator that happens to have a grab bar in the bathroom.

I've seen one place where I'm from (Charlotte) that was super accessible. It was basically made for poor cripples (income based rent) and every apartment had roll in showers and roll under counters and everything was on the ground floor. It was pretty sweet, but as far as I was able to determine the waiting list to get in was years and years long.

That being said, if you have the time and resources, I'm pretty sure the ADA says the landlord has to let you make "reasonable modifications"... something along those lines anyway. Better to ask forgiveness than permission has always been my policy, but a roll in shower in an existing building would probably be quite a pretty penny.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I'm looking to get my own place here soon, preferably an apartment. I lived in one for a little while a long time ago but it was not accessible so I never got to get in the shower or really get in the bathroom there. Do accessible apartments have roll in showers? Or counters I can roll under?
    Rybread,
    I don't know if you saw this in "CraigP"'s thread but here are some accessible apartments which seem fairly close to you. They are all accessible, roll in showers , etc. Here's a copy /paste of that post"

"Rybread, this outfit ASI does a lot of good work in creating accessible affordable housing. This is what they have available in in AZ :
    http://www.accessiblespace.org/arizo...ssible-housing

CraigP's thread : http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...angement/page2

As for modifications to existing apartments most of the rules for that would come under "Fair Housing Act' and outside public areas would most likely come under ADA.

Have you considered "senior housing units"? Where I live the age limit is 55 plus, but as recipients of Federal funds to build them, they rent to disabled persons under that age. If you look at this as "transitional housing" until you find something else, it might work for you. Some of these places may work with you on modifications. The bathrooms are often larger, the rent is income-adjusted if one is low income.

I went apartment shopping 2 years ago in Tacoma WA, all apartment that were for disabled / wheelchair accessible had big bathrooms, roll in showers and counters that you can roll under, which was nice, bathrooms were at least twice as big if not bigger then a standard apartment bathroom.