Thread: Skin Sensitivity

Skin Sensitivity

Why is my skin so much more sensitive since my injury? My mother put tea in my stainless steel water bottle and I got blisters from it.now maybe because of my lack of sensation I held onto it too long, but they field up but I can still see scars ( basically redness where they use to be) I wear my hat and my forehead has big red lines on it. Bedsores, abrasions Happen easily, take forever to heal. Why is my skin so much weaker and more sensitive? Is it a circulation issue, or maybe it's because of not outside as much facing the elements, rolling around, brushing my skin constantly? I don't know...

Denervated skin (which would not apply to your head or face) does actually change, with lower capillary closure pressure (meaning less blood flow and easier damage by pressure) and also there can be, over time, some changes in skin collagen, both due to the SCI, and to aging and side effects of medications. Burns of course are more common because you cannot feel that something is too hot (and this can also cause problems with cold trauma as well, such as frost bite).

(KLD)

Wow, well that Explains it, so even just cut will heal slower? And I take this red mark on my stomach left by a blister (long gone) is permant? My mother held the same thing, I didn't hold it long

Assuming the burn on your stomach was a 2nd or 3rd degree burn, the red mark is scar. It may fade some with time, but it will most likely always look different because scar tissue is different than normal skin.

(KLD)

Definitely not 3rd just a large white blister maybe frist

If it blistered, it was at least a 2nd degree burn.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Denervated skin (which would not apply to your head or face) does actually change, with lower capillary closure pressure (meaning less blood flow and easier damage by pressure) and also there can be, over time, some changes in skin collagen, both due to the SCI, and to aging and side effects of medications.
    (KLD)
    What should or could a person do about these things? Thinking specifically of my dead feet with no spasms.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I have also notice this, particularly in my hands. With my hands I think I lost all the callouses and hardened skin while in the hospital. I recall while in the hospital, about 3 or 4 weeks after being there, that I started to get small clumps of skin on my hands and fingers. The 2nd shift PCA would put Vaseline on my hands at night. After 4 days the clumps of skin were no longer appearing. At that point, I noticed my hands felt very soft. Since then the warm water I use to rinse my teeth after brushing feels pretty hot to my hands and fingers. About the only place on my hands that are calloused are near the outside of my palms. They are slightly calloused from pushing my chair.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident