Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Missing members?

Missing members?

Every1 here has noticed lots of frequent members dropped off kinda last couple years yeah?
    Anybody know member "Chick". Even here avatar went away. She sure contributed alot. Anybody hear from her?
    Makes me wonder alot of younger crowd that hung around here for years between 05-12' either figureD this spot Care/"CURE" had in the works precisely that but gave up on that after years of progress bur no promise, they either moved on or moved out.. Like Lynnifers new thread..It's definitely beguiling, bewildering, just 11 years my legs are shot/broken femurs, bone density 0, muscles vanished..
    Like she said if/when something comes be to far gone to help. Yea another dread thread.
    Last edited by Stormycoon; 02-18-2016 at 07:36 PM.
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

There are likely many reasons. On the negative side a few, like 'the hipcrip'' have died. On the positive side there are some who are out in the world burning rubber and are too busy to spend time here now.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I know what your saying. Things have really quieted down. It's sad, this use to be such a busy site. I think the shutdown had something to do with it and then there were also upset people over the way some things were handled. At least personally though it has been a great source of information and not feeling so alone facing a world of obstacles dealing to SCI.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

People have gotten on with their lives. Most of the women left over some incidents on CareCure - with good reason. Formed their own group on Facebook.

Most members are on Facebook now and some have cliqued off into their own groups. Chick's on my facebook but she pops in every once in a while.

Having info like Dr Silver here helps a lot. No info coming from the Wise thing. Be nice to have other docs talking here since not everyone can travel to a Working to Walk event.

The most interesting thing here anymore are Grammy's posts.

Politics piqued my interest for a while but it degrades into insults pretty quickly with people stuck in their ways.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon View Post
    Every1 here has noticed lots of frequent members dropped off kinda last couple years yeah?
    I would not be concerned, people come and go. Since 1997 I have been co-owner, co-manager of a list for my (and related) rare genetic paralysis diseases. We maintain around 200 to 300 members, with an active attrition and replacement rate. But the ones who actively participate in conversation changes month to month, year to year, with a very few piping up who have been around forever.
    Edit: It seems the same here, just on a grander scale.
    Last edited by nonoise; 02-19-2016 at 12:36 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Personally I don't miss the drama that uesed to permeate this site. Now it seems that the site is bifurcated between helping with SCI issues and and a place to vent about politics. At least you can pick and choose your issues and get on with what is interesting and important to you without getting bogged down in name calling and personal attacks.

NL wishes there was a stronger presence in the caregiver area of our Care Cure Community. But, for whatever reason, attempts to revitalize that area have failed.

On the positive side, there are new members joining and posting, and we need to be welcoming to them and try to rebuild a positive site and place to get the best information about spinal cord injury on the web.

All the best,
    GJ

Glad to see you are with us 55! The trip doesn't get easier, it just go on!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

As Lynnifer said, a lot of the active users in that era have moved on to bigger and/or better things. The evolution of the internet has played a HUGE role as well. There was no Facebook, no Reddit, no Skype... Hell there wasn't even gmail or Myspace when we all signed up! This message board was a place for people with SCI to hang with their own. Carecure was a solid part of my life for 5 years. Hanging in flashchat, which became a/v chat with some amazing people was something special.

Like all families though, people evolve, get older, move on... drama happens but there's no Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners where we're forced to make amends lol. Aaaaaand it's tiring to hear all of the same things over again. Bladder this, bowel that, life sucks, yada yada yada. Then someone dies, through natural or unnatural causes, and we cry. Rinse, dry, repeat. Not to denigrate anyone's personal struggles but it's easy to become hardened and cynical.

I kind of left with that big change a couple of years ago and am just poking in occasionally to post or see whats up... I'm gonna be in a tv series in June that just wrapped up filming so I'll post about that I guess. I'm going to an SCI conference this weekend with a bunch of researchers as the token SCI guy so there's that. And the exoskeleton thing... I post when I have something new to bring to the discussion, otherwise hit me up on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    Not to denigrate anyone's personal struggles but it's easy to become hardened and cynical.

I kind of left with that big change a couple of years ago and am just poking in occasionally to post or see whats up... I'm gonna be in a tv series in June that just wrapped up filming so I'll post about that I guess. I'm going to an SCI conference this weekend with a bunch of researchers as the token SCI guy so there's that. And the exoskeleton thing... I post when I have something new to bring to the discussion, otherwise hit me up on Facebook!
    A star in our midst???? lol That's great news. I am cynical about the exoskeleton but only because those simple sores caused by minute rubbing on spots, you cannot feel that you don't even realize exist until you have a life threatening infection.

The Grammy Awards are handmade about 10 miles from here so when your time comes, I will drive up there and give it a rub (like a genie in a bottle) before they send it off to the awards for you to collect it!!! lol

Keep us updated so we can watch the show.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown