Thread: HELP - Leakage around suprapubic cath

HELP - Leakage around suprapubic cath

Hello all! Haven't posted in ages but can't seem to find answers anywhere else.

I'm a t5/6 complete SCI - 16 years post accident - had SP 16 years with relatively few issues...

Started taking 15mg enablex about 2 years ago for occasional leakage around SP - it helps but leakage has gotten worse in the last year. Tried Botox a few months ago without much success.

No uti, no blockage, use the same 22 Fr Cath with 5 cc balloon I've always used.

Up until this started I could have a full bag, nearly 500cc in bladder and still not leak anywhere...

Didn't used to seem to matter if bag was above bladder or below, drained into bag fine but now bag can be empty and bladder can be almost empty and it'll leak out around cath before it'll drain into the bag. Ugh!

Change Cath monthly, urine is clear to light yellow (I drink 16-20 cups of water a day & take d-mannose daily) with virtually no crude.

Cystograms show a healthy bladder with some area you can tell the Cath rubs on but not really changed from before leakage started.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions from people more familiar to the SCI world as my doctors don't have much experience with it.

I'm desperate to find some resolution to this, even if it means a Cysto-ostomy, even though that seems a bit extreme.
    This too shall pass...

I began leaking around my SP catheter about 14 months ago. I tried alternate drugs and different dosages but it wasn't until I tried the Duette catheter that I had success. It along with taking Myrbetriq has cut my leaking down about 98%. Good luck...

Here is a little more information of the Poiesis Duette catheter:
    http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

For free samples of the Duette catheter, contact Charlene Johnson,VP Operations and Clinical Education
    Tel: 561.842.7560
    charlene@poiesismedical.com

All the best,
    GJ
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I began leaking around my SP catheter about 14 months ago. I tried alternate drugs and different dosages but it wasn't until I tried the Duette catheter that I had success. It along with taking Myrbetriq has cut my leaking down about 98%. Good luck...
    Yep I have had my sp for 25 years. No leaking. All of a sudden I was leaking all the time. Tried the Duette catheter and haven't leaked since. Get a free sample and give it a shot. Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the help. Definitely going to give it a try.
    This too shall pass...