Thread: Pressure Relief Mattress

Pressure Relief Mattress

Anyone know anything about the NoDec 3 pressure relief mattress systems? I am trying to replace an old Pegasus 3 cell alternating mattress, but can not find a distributor in the US for the NoDec 3. I'm in bed 24/7 and will quickly develop a pressure sore without a 3 cell alternating mattress, but I can't seem to find any available in the USA.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Respectfully,
    Crazy8

There is actually little scientific proof that alternating pressure provides significant pressure reduction vs. a low air loss mattress. Pegasus used to have a company in the USA, but my understanding is they went out of business a while ago. Have you ever tried to use a good quality true LAL mattress? They even make turning ones if you are unable to turn yourself. There is no mattress that "relieves" pressure completely...it is different degrees of pressure REDUCTION.

(KLD)

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I developed a pressure sore on a LAL mattress 17 years ago and had a flap procedure done. At that time the surgeon insisted that I be on a 3 cell alternating (Pegasus), and I've been on that ever since without any problems. The pump is now dying and I need to replace the system but I can't find a comparable replacement available in the US.
    I've tried a Sapphire (LAL/ alternating) but it was so "squishy" that I was unable to perform my ADLs (bowel/bladder/etc.). I've also tried an AEDA but it broke in less then a year. I keep going back on the Pegasus, but the pump sounds like it is going to explode any second. I'm going to be quite vulnerable for breakdown if I don't acquire a replacement soon.
    The NoDec 3 is available throughout Europe and Asia etc. but for some reason I can't find it anywhere in the US.
    Do you feel that the LAL are now actually better then a 3 cell alternating? If so, do you know of any good ones available in US?

I am not a fan of alternating pressure systems, as they have little scientific evidence for being better than LAL. You can develop a pressure ulcer on any sleep surface, even a air fluidized bed, if you don't turn or are improperly positioned. LAL mattresses from KCI/Arjo-Huntleigh, Stryker, Invacare, and Joerns/Triline are all good.

You might want to look into a Dolphin fluid immersion simulation system (very expensive though). Good LAL mattresses have a "firm" setting that can be used for doing ADLs, and we just recommend turning the mattress off and settling down onto the bed frame deck for transfers.

(KLD)

Certainly today's mattresses are improved. Some LAL mattresses have a firm setting that can be used when dressing, etc. You ought to check what your local dealers sell. All mattresses are subject to pump or other failure. Having a good local dealer can make repairs or replacement much faster. Have you looked on Ebay for a used replacement pump?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Thanks for the responses. I spend most of my time in bed so my mattress is of utmost importance for my quality of life. I lived in NY so I had access to just about anything. I've recently moved to SW Florida and have not been able to find a good doctor or medical supply place or anyone who knows anything about SCI. Most medical supply places by me in FL seem to be geared towards the geriatric population and I haven't found anyone who knows much about pressure relief mattresses.

I've done most of my research online and when I google Pegasus mattresses I mostly find people like myself looking for parts or service, or I get sent to the Pegasus website in Australia. Is just so frustrating to want to purchase a specific product that will so impact my life, but I can't figure out a way to get it done. I'll check again on EBay. Thanks again for the responses!
    Respectfully,
    Crazy8

I am using a Genadyne. I hate it. To noisy and I feel like I'm in a sling. It does do okay for the wound on my right butt/hip. Looking for a good overlay to replace the mattress. My motor is going bad and with the Genadyne if the motor does not work you are screwed. Any good overlay recommendations? At least with an overlay you can lay on the regular mattress until you fix the problem. d
    Last edited by rollin' man; 02-19-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks Rollin Man. I'm in SW Florida and have not been able to find a good medical supply place that carries any type of pressure reduction mattresses or overlays. I know I can order online, but it's hard to tell from a picture if it's what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, the system I want does not seem to be available in the US.