Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Epidural Stimulation ever be brought to the masses?

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    Jen, I believe that is the case with every stimulator implant. They have to be programmed to the individual person.

Yes, exactly, everyone is different. I standby that this should become mainstream sooner than later and something just is not right with the whole thing the way it drags on. Heck charge people 40 grand a pop to have it implanted, they could make their money this way rather than donations with no treatment. I'm sure the liability I spoke of at the top of the page could be covered under some sort of insurance policy or something.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Agreed you can't compare cancer, but financially incentive speaking you can there treatments cost hundreds and thousands a year, where is most of us just feed off our insurance at a incomparable rate! Also statistically more cancer patients are employed (we all know the reasons way) and generally when they become unemployed there on deaths door. Let's not forget SCI strikes the (next generation) main workforce young men and women, more so men. Important needed Educations either being abandoned are going to waste. I don't necessarily agree there is financial incentive to keep the sick, sick. Depends on what kind of sickness and honestly the country we are talking about!

Also I just want to point out there seems to be a lot of focus on bladder function return ( for obvious reasons))! I just want to remind everyone if you have an indwelling catheter or, you must allow your bladder to stretch that means blocking your catheter. If you do not it will shrink harden than wither away permanently reside in a state where it cannot hold urine basically becomes dead/ useless/ ruined whatever ( like most of our body after paralysis) if you've had the indwelling for many years and haven't been doing that, ( I haven't been injured for four years yet, in the billing for about a year and it's still a back-and-forth battle with bladder shrinkage, I may have lost ��) I'm sorry but I wouldn't get your hopes up on the bladder return no matter what the treatment!!! Of course doctors won't warn you about this, you're not supposed to care, if you did find out about it you had to dig and find out yourself after being committed to recovery ...
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 02-16-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Seems that there is another gentleman named Andrew Bell that had this procedure done. Still no woman that we know of!

Excellent twitter feed on epi-stim: https://twitter.com/SCIbreakthrough

http://epiduralstimulationnow.com/the-stimulator/
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Wow. They'll even throw in some stem cells with it in Bangkok, Thailand on that one. Interesting...

I asked them about it last week, told them I didn't want their stem cells, only the stimulator and was told:

"If you only want the epidural stimulator the total cost is $67.000 USD."

There is another guy from the UK (who hasn't done promo video's on their web site) and has blogged about it here:
    http://www.lindeanlore.co.uk/blog.htm

Obviously I wouldn't trust their stem cells do anything, but with the stimulator both guys are showing immediate changes.

After more than three decades and age 50 a short while away, I can understand impatience and frustration and going overseas .. now I get it. The scientific method isn't working on my time table.

He wasn't a year out even ...

The only reason I heard about it is that they started following me on Twitter. Looks like at least 2 patients were done (oops in the 2nd vid, he says 8 have been done).
    Last edited by lynnifer; 02-25-2016 at 08:11 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

I've befriended him on Facebook ... I'll ask, once I get to know him a bit better, if he wouldn't mind sharing his experience here.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I've befriended him on Facebook ... I'll ask, once I get to know him a bit better, if he wouldn't mind sharing his experience here.
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    After more than three decades and age 50 a short while away, I can understand impatience and frustration and going overseas .. now I get it. The scientific method isn't working on my time table.

The only reason I heard about it is that they started following me on Twitter. Looks like at least 2 patients were done (oops in the 2nd vid, he says 8 have been done).
    Global Stem Cells is actually an offshoot of Regenex from the Cayman Islands which proliferated multiple stem cell clinics under different names and many of them selling some type of supplements with their stem cell treatments in unregulated countries. (Journalist's have tracked them all over under different names).

Rather than links or referrals to clinical trials and evidence-based medicine, stem cell centers rely heavily on patient testimonials and anecdotes. And while these patients may have experienced improvements in their conditions, there’s no discounting what years and years of research have said about the “placebo effect”. While it is not our intention to make assumptions about the perceptions of others, it’s difficult to disentangle any other treatments the person may have received or simply the power of hope.

Even smart folks can fall into traps by overly trusting forums, which may have testimonials from people paid to travel forum to forum, spreading the word of the spammers. As well, don’t let a domain that ends in .org be a sign of veracity. These days anyone can buy a .org domain name. When doing your research, check the sources or other articles on the website. Does the entire website devote itself to the benefits of stem cell treatments, yet mentioning very little about the fact that scientists are currently in the experimental stages? If so, you’re better off looking elsewhere, such as governmental (.gov) or educational sites (.edu). Your best personal option is to consult with a specializing and reputable doctor in the field of the illness you’re investigating.

One treatment can’t be a cure-all

According to Dr. George Daley in an interview on NPR, at this time, legitimate stem cell treatments have only been effective for a very small number of diseases, mainly blood-based illnesses such as leukemia and thalassemia. Others are in the research process.
    Conditions like Parkinson’s, hearing loss, autism, lupus, etc. stem from different dysfunctions in the body, so what makes us assume that a one-size-fits-all approach to medical treatment is the way to go? Really, let’s think about it – for conditions such as autism, in which we do not know yet where the various deficits lie and for what exactly we are treating, having stem cell treatment would merely be an expensive shot in the dark.

The conditions being treated here by Global Stem Cells is Ataxia, Autism, Brain Injury, Cerebral Palsy, Joint Repair, Kidney Disease, Motor Neuron Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Spinal Cord injury, Visual Impairments, ONA, ONH/SOD etc...

The cell types range from Allogenic SC, Autologous SC, Autologous SC PRP.

They also sell RT Magnetic Stimulation, Plasmapheresis, Rehab, Acupuncture, ILs, Hyperbaric Oxygen, Epidural Stimulation & Functional Medicine 4R...

Using your own stem cells doesn’t necessarily mean its safe

Unauthorized stem cell centers might try to comfort you by saying that, with the use of your own stem cells, there are no ethical issues. Tell that to the woman who traveled to Bangkok to receive treatment for her lupus nephritis. The doctors there extracted stem cells from her bone marrow and injected them into her kidneys, resulting in lesions and masses which doctors claimed were never-before-seen. Her body began to fail her, her kidney needed to be removed, and she died within 2 years.

Carefully chosen words

As an example of the language that these institutions use, the XCell-Center in Germany states on their homepage (which has typos, by the way – another red flag), “Since the start in January 2007, more than 3000 patients have safely undergone our various stem cell treatments.” Safely undergoing treatment does not equate to success, improvements or cures in conditions. These unscrupulous institutions want to find a way to take your money, and they don’t want for their words to come back and bite them.

Consult reputable experts

The fact of the matter is – desperate patients shouldn’t have to wade through websites and determine, with little to no criteria, whom to trust. Other than what we have offered as tips, to protect consumers and the integrity of the scientific community, the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) offers an important and helpful service of vetting so-called stem cell treatment centers for consumers by examining the legitimacy and scientific validity of such places. To find out more information about places which might be selling themselves to you, check out ISSCR’s Closer Look at Stem Cells website. An additional resource for patients is the website of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute.

LINK

Don't give a whoot about the cells - junk science. He has an epi-stim and can move legs and stand with assistance.

Long before Harkema et al are done their 1st trials in 2020.

Like I said, scientific method not working on our timetable. Tick tock.

Curious as to cost.