Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power chair and Medicare/Medicaid

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Rollin, I think Medicare might pay for ZX-1 with your current chair. Medicare paid for my SmartDrive but my DME said it would have been easier if I had bought a compatible chair at the same time. Agree with Triumph, ZX-1 might be great for your needs.
    It will only go 5 miles on a charge?

I live by myself now in a small town. I figured i could use the power for shopping and getting around town and keep my manual for going to Dr's. appts. and such.

I my opinion a ZX-1 or any add on to a manual wheelchair is just that An ADD On. You have been 14 years in a manual wheelchair, that does not mean you have to stay in one forever, there are no goody points either for continuing this archaic mobility means. That does not mean they do not serve their purpose in some locations. But with powered wheelchairs come the need for some knowledge and maintenance responsibility.

Visit some sites where powered wheelchairs are the preferred method for mobility. One NOT instituted by a powered wheel chair manufacturer or their proxy. There are few, but full of information, that all can use, when you find one. I would like to suggest, WheelChairDriver.com Read the blog, some of the forum may be a tad too technical and overpowering for some.

Rollin64 I would also like to suggest a Firefly, if that will work for your needs, I have one and the power I get from it is awesome Quick attachment to my manual, and easily stored in the vehicle, works with a motion similar to motorcycle, that twist motion, so you would know best if you could do that motion, and the price is much much better than a ZX-1 check them out Rio Mobility

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    It will only go 5 miles on a charge?
    I think maybe 11 miles with lithium battery.

I think maybe 11 miles with lithium battery.
    That sounds better.

We have 3 power chairs, the almost new (when we bought it) Permobil, a low rider with elevating seat - good for transfers. My wife hasn't used it in well over a year as she likes the ZX-1 so much. We have 2 other power chairs in the garage bought used. Even though we are in our 70's we prefer the manual chairs. I sometimes use my SmartDrive usually when I shoot trap at a range with a 75 yard ramp. The power chairs (except for Permobil) have high seats which make transfers difficult. Sometimes for trail use my wife uses her Freewheel on her manual chair with ZX-1 making the chair more all terrain friendly.

We have 3 power chairs, the almost new (when we bought it) Permobil, a low rider with elevating seat - good for transfers. My wife hasn't used it in well over a year as she likes the ZX-1 so much. We have 2 other power chairs in the garage bought used. Even though we are in our 70's we prefer the manual chairs. I sometimes use my SmartDrive usually when I shoot trap at a range with a 75 yard ramp. The power chairs (except for Permobil) have high seats which make transfers difficult. Sometimes for trail use my wife uses her Freewheel on her manual chair with ZX-1 making the chair more all terrain friendly.
    WOW, in your 70's and still rollin. Makes me feel good. They probly never heard of ZX-1, lol. I'm 51, 14 years C-6-7. My shoulders are bout shot plus i got this elbow issue going on. PLUS just the past 2 1/2 months been living totally by myself. I'm just trying to think ahead of ways to survive. I'm still gonna push mostly but need to think about shopping for myself, bank, getting out and such.

We use power beds, grab bars on toilets, full sized vans with power seats, roll in showers with even transfer shower chairs. We are both in chairs and when we started to have shoulder issues we got adaptive equipment so that almost every transfer is a gravity transfer - never transferring up. My wife used to have shoulder pain daily, much less so today. I have had significant bouts of shoulder pain but none for the past few years. I consider the beds to be key to shoulder health, we have Transfermasters that lower to 18" so that we transfer down into bed. They go quite high, we always transfer down out of bed. We know shoulders will eventually fail us but we are trying to forestall this as long as possible.

I have 45 years in chair, my wife 67 years. We think the ZX-1 might be the best piece of adaptive equipment since Quadra and others introduced the rigid lightweight chairs decades ago.

From the things you listed, you need to impress on your Professional Adviser's you need a really good indoor/outdoor powered chair. Not the tinker toys they usually advise their clients to use.

I absolutely understand your problem I am 76 and nearing 77 with severe shoulder problems. You will require the chair with the most battery space available, since you need it to do really everything you need to do to survive, without any outside assistance.

If these people resist, ask them if they will be available to assist you do your daily personal maintenance. I doubt they will volunteer. Be polite and nice, but extremely firm. There are very "few good all purpose" powered wheelchairs, and lots of regulator/government approved junk. But that is simply "my" opinion.