Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chair Weight

Chair Weight

Does anyone get their chair weighed? If so, what is the weight of your current manual use chair? I had my chair weighed recently and it came in at 32.6 lbs, which seems way to heavy feeling. Now i'm regretting letting my grievances with Tilite cloud my better judgment and put me back in a Quickie.

Blog Entries
    I made a detailed post many years ago in which I shared pictures of different components of my Lasher BT-Mg on a luggage scale. Total package was 21.5lbs. (Frame, upholstery, 4" Frogleg casters, Roho cushion, CF side guards, LX wheels and D's Locks). Did the same weighing of my Icon last month, and it came in at 29lbs. (Frame, CF seat, CF ADI low back, 4" Frogleg casters, RockShox Ario shock, aluminum side guards, Rogue Tsunami wheels, Stimulite XS cushion, no brakes).
    Last edited by Oddity; 02-11-2016 at 05:17 AM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

My quickie 2hp weighs 31.7 it does seem very heavy compared to Tilite chairs i have sat in.

I have 32lbs according to the mystery calibrated scale down at the rehab joint. This is a TiLite TR 18x18 with a J2 gel cushion, Spox wheels/heavier Marathon tires, tube armrests, and TiLite adjustable sling backrest. Add IIRC .75lb for a custom aluminum footrest on that also.

Blog Entries
    30lbs is perfectly normal for an adult sized fully appointed "ultra-light" wheelchair from any brand. Frames are mostly 12-15lbs (raw: no fasteners or accessories or wheels). Then add another 12-15lbs for accessories, all the hardware, 4 wheels, and a cushion. Plus or minus another couple pounds accounting for different brands of EVERYTHING weigh a bit different (e.g. Jay gel cushion is twice as heavy as a Stimulite of the same size). To get much less than 25lbs for a total package you're talking about a small chair with few very specific accessories. Iirc, stephen212 posted, years ago, his very well thought out 15x16 TiLite ZR was 24.5lbs.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Hmm...34lb for my son's Icon, but it does have a rigid backrest with heavy duty lateral supports, and he doesn't have the cf seat pan. Just as well he uses his firefly if we're going any reasonable distance!

Interesting that Oddity mentions that a "small chair" would be required for a very light weight chair. I'm not sure that the chair size necessarily makes much of a difference, which is why I believe that kids in chairs need end up pushing disproportionately heavy chairs (compared to their weight/size) versus adults. It would be great if kids' chairs were significantly lighter than adults ones, but unfortunately they aren't....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Hmm...34lb for my son's Icon, but it does have a rigid backrest with heavy duty lateral supports, and he doesn't have the cf seat pan. Just as well he uses his firefly if we're going any reasonable distance!

Interesting that Oddity mentions that a "small chair" would be required for a very light weight chair. I'm not sure that the chair size necessarily makes much of a difference, which is why I believe that kids in chairs need end up pushing disproportionately heavy chairs (compared to their weight/size) versus adults. It would be great if kids' chairs were significantly lighter than adults ones, but unfortunately they aren't....
    I think ~5lbs is a reasonable difference for the CF pan, backrest, no brakes or mounting brackets, and the Rogue Tsunami wheels with Ti axles(lighter than Topolinos).

It isn't necessarily true that a smaller chair is a lighter chair, but less metal helps. Especially when you're trying to get below the 25lb mark. (My off road BTMg has ~12" more tubing, 5" casters, larger cushion and upholstery, and it is ~3lbs heavier than my smaller everyday BTMg)

Weight is mostly about material design, accessories, and hardware. Titanium fork stems and axles go a long way. Steel stems can weigh nearly a couple pounds EACH! (Last one I put on a kitchen scale was 30oz!!!)

As a ratio to body weight pediatric chairs are undoubtedly a higher proportion of the total rolling weight, of occupant + chair, than most adult users. At some point a chair has to weigh something, and getting lighter becomes prohibitively expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Titanium fork stems and axles go a long way. Steel stems can weigh nearly a couple pounds EACH! (Last one I put on a kitchen scale was 30oz!!!)
    Totally! I remember taking apart to cherry pick my old TRA, and old TR, and noting the heavy metal caster stems there. IIRC one had a solid stem, the other hollow, and a dramatic weight difference between the two. Design of the chair and the length of the stems will affect this also. My current generation TR seems to have shorter stems due to the frame design than those older frames, which would affect the overall weight also.

That said, if anyone is tracking weights in this thread, I have titanium stems and wheel axles on my current TR also.

29 lbs total for my Lasher. I think my carbon seat pan is 17"x17", carbon footrest, carbon side guards, heavy J2 gel cushion, Spinergy wheels with Schwalbe marathon plus tires, Frog Legs unitine forks, and a pouch under the seat with wallet and stuff.
    6/18/00: T-5 complete

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock517 View Post
    29 lbs total for my Lasher. I think my carbon seat pan is 17"x17", carbon footrest, carbon side guards, heavy J2 gel cushion, Spinergy wheels with Schwalbe marathon plus tires, Frog Legs unitine forks, and a pouch under the seat with wallet and stuff.
    Any wheel locks?

I knew those Jay gels were heavy, but by my math it must be pushing 8lbs! I'm rolling your old 17x17, setup as my off-road chair, and it is a smidge more than 5lbs lighter. I didn't include my EDC pouch, which is probably a couple lbs, with all the crap I carry in it.