Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Transit Reviews???

Ford Transit Reviews???

Does anyone have the Ford Transit (the larger van, not the Transit Connect) as a wheelchair van? I'm looking at this van, but it sounds like a lot of adapting. I'm just needing the lift, hand controls and rotating drivers seat to transfer into. We also need seating for about 9. Not asking for much.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    Does anyone have the Ford Transit (the larger van, not the Transit Connect) as a wheelchair van? I'm looking at this van, but it sounds like a lot of adapting. I'm just needing the lift, hand controls and rotating drivers seat to transfer into. We also need seating for about 9. Not asking for much.

seating for you, your wheelchair +9 people?

Sounds like a small bus might work better.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

no more needed than any other full size. no problem with lift, transfer seat etc. only thing that I'm not sure of is if braun has finished the door operator. give them a call.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I looked at them last summer and they need a lot of modifications to make a lift strong enough. Also the floor in the back is lower than the driver side area. Which means more modifications need to be done to make the floor level from the front to the back. I just thought they were too expensive by the time they were modified but that's just my opinion.

really? I just one at the mobility dealer. the guy said wasn't anymore work than other full size jobs

Quote Originally Posted by handibob View Post
    I looked at them last summer and they need a lot of modifications to make a lift strong enough. Also the floor in the back is lower than the driver side area. Which means more modifications need to be done to make the floor level from the front to the back. I just thought they were too expensive by the time they were modified but that's just my opinion.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I talked to two different companies and they both said that they were having the same problem. They told me not to worry, that they would come up with a solution eventually. One salesman told me he actually saw the framing of the van and it collapsed after they put the lift on that they were going to have to do an additional modifications.

heres one with door operators as well. looks good. maybe depends on chasis size?
    Last edited by fuentejps; 02-10-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Ford Transits look like they would work very well for what I need but my dealer has told me that it isn't possible to set up to drive from the wheelchair. Anyone know about the possibilities of this and if they are working on getting it figured out? Mini vans are too small for my family so it pretty much leaves me used full size Ford E series to choose from. I've looked closely at the modified suburbans but I just don't see how being trapped in the drivers area works for people. I need to be able to help the kids with the car seats and put stuff in the back. Being confined to just a little corner of the car seems crazy to me.

how about the Mercedes sprinter or dodge full size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Ford Transits look like they would work very well for what I need but my dealer has told me that it isn't possible to set up to drive from the wheelchair. Anyone know about the possibilities of this and if they are working on getting it figured out? Mini vans are too small for my family so it pretty much leaves me used full size Ford E series to choose from. I've looked closely at the modified suburbans but I just don't see how being trapped in the drivers area works for people. I need to be able to help the kids with the car seats and put stuff in the back. Being confined to just a little corner of the car seems crazy to me.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com