Thread: Anterior Tibial Tendon Transfer Surgery for Dropfoot

Anterior Tibial Tendon Transfer Surgery for Dropfoot

This girl posted a video saying she had drop foot an injury to her back and she got the Anterior Tibial Tendon Transfer surgery and about 2 years later she was walking normal. Has anyone tried this surgery? What were your results?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I just had the surgery in Oct., I also had ankle reconstruction. I'm just now walking in the above boot. It has brought my foot down some but it's to early for me to say what difference it has really made yet. I'll reply back when I know, one way or other.

Thank you. What do you mean it has brought your foot down lonecoaster?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I believe she means that it has helped her get her foot more flat on the floor. Keep in mind that if your foot drop contracture has ossified, that muscle transfer surgery may not be sufficient. You still need to try to stretch this area out now, primarily by standing (and if necessary, using wedges under the forefoot to get you a little flexion beyond neutral as well).

(KLD)

Please can you tell me some stretching exercises or the link I can look into? My daughter had posterior tendon transfer on 25th nov. its been over 3 mths still she is tight on dorsiflex she is not able to lift her foot much. she can eversion her foot not inversion. but my main concern is lifting her foot up so please let me know stretching exercises for her. she is wearing AFO all the time.....Thanks

Search this site for stretches: https://www.physiotherapyexercises.com/

Quote Originally Posted by aniya04 View Post
    Please can you tell me some stretching exercises or the link I can look into? My daughter had posterior tendon transfer on 25th nov. its been over 3 mths still she is tight on dorsiflex she is not able to lift her foot much. she can eversion her foot not inversion. but my main concern is lifting her foot up so please let me know stretching exercises for her. she is wearing AFO all the time.....Thanks

Thanks mj23 Its useful site

My daughter who had tendon transfer surgery on 25th nov'15 for foot drop is still not able to lift her foot as much just a little though what could be the reason? Or it will get better with time. Her leg was in cast for 6 weeks then after that it stays in AFO all the time Day and Night).Has started physical therapy (does mild stuff only) twice a week. Her Dr is also not here I mean its 2 hr drive from our place and her appt is in April (3 mths after she got rid of her cast.) So i am lil worried she is just 15 and has full life ahead. Please put some light here....Thanks