Thread: Accessible vacation ideas for a family

Accessible vacation ideas for a family

My family consists of my husband (t-2 complete para). Me (no disability, but several health issues lately). Our two kids aged 9 and 10. I need to come up with some good vacation ideas, I'm running out.

We have been on a cruise. The family loved it. I got seriously sea sick the entire time. But unless someone has a sure fire way to avoid sea sickness, I am never doing it again.

We have been to Disney World a few times and its been a lot of fun and very w/c friendly. But we don't want to always go back there.

We have rented accessible condos and houses and just enjoyed a destination. Thats fun, sometimes. But the kids are getting a bit bored with that now that they are older and want more action.

My husband isn't in a place where he can be sporty, so a lot of those resorts look like "sorry kids, can't do that" would be all we would say. So I don't know.

Any good, accessible family vacation ideas?
    - Moody

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but Wisconsin has this going on. We have considered it but never been. Tried to escape another 4th of July with the inlaws but the cabin we wanted was already booked.
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/OpenOutdoors/equipment.html
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/camping/cabin.html

Hawaii? Can hubbie transfer to a regular car? Power chair or manual? Have you looked at Bruce of Maui's condo here? Where are you?

KLD

Hi Moody,
    I accidentally ended up here looking for vacation ideas myself. I have been coming across a lot of good ideas so maybe just doing a Google search for "Accessible vacation spots" or something like that might help you, I know that's not super specific help but I seriously have been surprised by all the stuff that is out there. My kids are 16 and 18 and we have been pretty much doing the same vacations our whole life, we live near Whistler, BC and it's such a cool spot so we end up there a lot. I have been trying to find new ideas as I kind of know that with them at this age I'm running out of family vacation time I found a few articles that you might find some inspiration in, one is http://www.carolinadesigns.com/blog/...ily-vacations/, it's not specific to accessible but it might give you some ideas. I gotta say though I was curious so I just did a search kind of for you and I did find this http://www.executiveclasstravelers.c...ure_travel.htm which looks like it may provide you with exactly the sort of ideas you're looking for. Anyway, GOOD LUCK on your search, I am actually finding this process kind of fun as it's neat all the different people and families I am coming across in my searches
    Cheers,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    I don't know what part of the country you are in, but Wisconsin has this going on. We have considered it but never been. Tried to escape another 4th of July with the inlaws but the cabin we wanted was already booked.
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/OpenOutdoors/equipment.html
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/camping/cabin.html

We are actually in Minnesota! New transplants. I will keep this in mind. There are a few accessible camp areas in our area (Rochester)
    - Moody

We are now in Minnesota. We will be going to Hawaii in 2 years, most expenses paid, for my husband's work.
    - Moody

Quote Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
    Hi Moody,
    I accidentally ended up here looking for vacation ideas myself. I have been coming across a lot of good ideas so maybe just doing a Google search for "Accessible vacation spots" or something like that might help you, I know that's not super specific help but I seriously have been surprised by all the stuff that is out there. My kids are 16 and 18 and we have been pretty much doing the same vacations our whole life, we live near Whistler, BC and it's such a cool spot so we end up there a lot. I have been trying to find new ideas as I kind of know that with them at this age I'm running out of family vacation time I found a few articles that you might find some inspiration in, one is http://www.carolinadesigns.com/blog/...ily-vacations/, it's not specific to accessible but it might give you some ideas. I gotta say though I was curious so I just did a search kind of for you and I did find this http://www.executiveclasstravelers.c...ure_travel.htm which looks like it may provide you with exactly the sort of ideas you're looking for. Anyway, GOOD LUCK on your search, I am actually finding this process kind of fun as it's neat all the different people and families I am coming across in my searches
    Cheers,
    Mary
    Thanks! We actually went to Disney world when our older two were 15 and 17, knowing we were running out of years we could vacation with them. I came up with 3 options and they picked disney world. Our younger two were 2 and 3. It was actually a great family vacation for families with teenagers. They were able to go do their own thing, and then we would meet up for dinner and fireworks. They would usually go out again for a couple hours and then sleep in in the morning (we got a 2 bedroom condo rented with the vacation club points...we aren't members, we just bought points from other people). We would go out early with the little ones, maybe all hit the pool together in the afternoon when he boys were up. It was a real winner. The older boys said it was one of their best trips ever. And it is super w/c friendly there.
    - Moody

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hawaii? Can hubbie transfer to a regular car? Power chair or manual? Have you looked at Bruce of Maui's condo here? Where are you?

KLD
    Oops wanted to add...manual chair. He doesn't need lifts or anything. Having been paralyzed 40+ years, he has bad osteoporosis and contractors in his hips and knees. He is really weary to do much of what he was willing to do even 10 years ago.
    - Moody

Quote Originally Posted by Moody View Post
    Thanks! We actually went to Disney world when our older two were 15 and 17, knowing we were running out of years we could vacation with them. I came up with 3 options and they picked disney world. Our younger two were 2 and 3. It was actually a great family vacation for families with teenagers. They were able to go do their own thing, and then we would meet up for dinner and fireworks. They would usually go out again for a couple hours and then sleep in in the morning (we got a 2 bedroom condo rented with the vacation club points...we aren't members, we just bought points from other people). We would go out early with the little ones, maybe all hit the pool together in the afternoon when he boys were up. It was a real winner. The older boys said it was one of their best trips ever. And it is super w/c friendly there.
    We did Disneyland when the kids were about 8 and 10, was super fun, I hope we can swing another trip in the next couple years. I've never been to Disney World, I've heard it's MUCH bigger than Disneyland. Good luck with your vacation search

Its winter in Minn. You should be out ice fishing. It like a religion up there. Snowmobiling too. Write the Ely Minn chamber of commerce. They will send you enough stuff to jam your mail box til spring. Come summer a pontoon boat rental on the Missisippi is fun. Might requre a little bit of ingenuity to get on board. I have brought a folding chair along to help. If that's a success, you could try a house boat, but the kids might have to be older to help out. The Minn state fair is a hoot. 125 thing to eat on a stick. The Madeline island ferry was always a big hit when I was a kid, The kids are old enough to learn to ski. Throw them on the hill then you guys can go do adult fun stuff. Get a Jeep, take the top off and hit the woods.