Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could I use to patch a tiny hole in my Activeaid 101?

What could I use to patch a tiny hole in my Activeaid 101?

It is a tiny hole in one of the creases that has cracked over time. I called Activeaid to see if they made a patch but they don't and suggested I buy a new cushion for a mere $100.... That's what I paid for it 8 yrs ago, besides the rest of the chair is in excellent shape. I thought about using a rubber patch (like on a tire) but thought that might not let me slide on the seat. I would love suggestions.
    Thx,
    Andy

Every six months or so I take a cheap yoga mat, usually purchased from Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and cut a cover for my shower chair. You really just have to focus on covering most of the top, and you can even use a little duct tape to attach to the bottom. Right now I have two layers of yoga mat on mine. I shower after BP and it's always handled it fine. Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut the bowl area out too. It took me a few times to get it right because after some use the mat will start to shape and stretch to your body being on it. But a yoga mat at Marshall's is like $10 and I can get at least two covers from one mat. The mat seems to cover the creases that get hard and crack the most comfortable of anything else I tried.

I've used clear nail polish or a band aide for temporary fixes. I would think you could use something like a rubberized spray paint or something they use to repair vinyl seats is a car parts store.

The foam on commode chairs is very similar to the foam on swimming pool floats. See this repair video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN-hUvbyALc

All the best,
    GJ

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    That looks really promising.

I wish we could just send them back to be recovered.
    Once the vinyl reaches a certain age it just seems to start splitting, it is as though it has just dried out.

Very annoying as the product is not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The foam on commode chairs is very similar to the foam on swimming pool floats. See this repair video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN-hUvbyALc

All the best,
    GJ

NW-Will You have a good point vinyl does biodegrade with age, and patching is a "very" temporary solution. However, patching kits for things like fishing waders and of course swimming pool liners "may" be useful in extending the seating to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    Every six months or so I take a cheap yoga mat, usually purchased from Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and cut a cover for my shower chair. You really just have to focus on covering most of the top, and you can even use a little duct tape to attach to the bottom. Right now I have two layers of yoga mat on mine. I shower after BP and it's always handled it fine. Use a sharp knife or scissors to cut the bowl area out too. It took me a few times to get it right because after some use the mat will start to shape and stretch to your body being on it. But a yoga mat at Marshall's is like $10 and I can get at least two covers from one mat. The mat seems to cover the creases that get hard and crack the most comfortable of anything else I tried.
    You have obviously experienced the exact same problem. Yes, it is the crease. I can't visualize your picture in my head. Any chance you could upload a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyy View Post
    I've used clear nail polish or a band aide for temporary fixes. I would think you could use something like a rubberized spray paint or something they use to repair vinyl seats is a car parts store.
    I did find a rubber or vinyl spray online you could buy but I was afraid it wouldn't be slippery enough and might rub against my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    That looks really promising.

I wish we could just send them back to be recovered.
    Once the vinyl reaches a certain age it just seems to start splitting, it is as though it has just dried out.

Very annoying as the product is not cheap.
    Over time the foam loses its resilience and doesn't provide enough pressure protection, so it does make sense to replace the cushion periodically. That said, I agree that we see break down on the surface of the foam, long before the resilience is compromised.

All the best,
    GJ

As the bowel chair splits in the seat have gotten larger (since I posted this last year), I finally got serious about finding something to patch it. I did some research on Amazon and found this product with really good reviews. It has been on my Activaid 101 for 2 months now and it works great. I don't know how it will hold up on a shower chair but 18 bucks is a lot better than buying a new chair.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1