Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Freshman Quad

College Freshman Quad

Regarding my quad freshman at UA Tucson. I am heading down there again to help with bedrest, broken powerchair, and just emotional support after a tough week. At what point, I wonder, should I cut our losses and insist that she come home to MN and start at a MN school next fall?

This is becoming very difficult and husband and I are trying to tough it out the rest of the school year. A heart to heart is coming up this weekend I think.....

Wow, amazing your daughter is now in college. The years flew by quickly it seems. I don't have any advice but sent you a pm with a contact who was in similar circumstances at ASU.

As a dad I remember the angst of having my daughter away to school for the first time.Take a deep breath, it'll work out.

Does she get any help from the college disability services department? Can she advocate for herself when snags come up? If so, I wonder if there's a contact person who she (and you) can turn to when issues come up. Freshman year can be difficult for anyone and the adjustment involved is an invaluable experience for a disabled person to handle the next 3 years.
    I'm not a parent, but imagine it must be super tough for you.

Thank you for the replies and letting me lean a bit. Yes, there is help from the DRC and she is a good problem solver. It was just overwhelming this week. Next weekend, we meet up with a cousin who's first assignment out of the Air Force Academy happens to be Tucson. She is looking at apartments next weekend and hopes to house near the U. She and my daughter are a good fit and I hope she can be our go to when things are going south.

Yes, this has been tougher than I thought and I knew it wasn't going to be an easy year.

That's good news!

Consider buying a used power chair to be kept on perpetual charge at dorm room. I'm not a power chair user but have a used one I paid 500 for. Always good to have a backup since DME svc is so poor.

I am a bit biased, but go Gophers! My family lived in McLean VA and I went to George Washington (about 10 miles from my parents house). However I lived on campus, all the benefits of the college experience with the benefit of if I needed my laundry done I could just throw it in my car and drive home. I would bring her back to MN but let her live on campus.

Am I detecting a tone of 'lets take this problem out of her hands and bring her home as we know what's best'? I'm kinda biased in the other direction, but, again, I'm not a parent so I don't know how I'd feel as a parent. If she likes it there I think I would support her decisions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I am a bit biased, but go Gophers! My family lived in McLean VA and I went to George Washington (about 10 miles from my parents house). However I lived on campus, all the benefits of the college experience with the benefit of if I needed my laundry done I could just throw it in my car and drive home. I would bring her back to MN but let her live on campus.
    I would get out of the cold and move to Arizona with her(at least for the winter)! No slight on the Yellow Rodent but Wilbur and Wilma should eat it!

The biggest problem, the broken chair, was fixed by a local company in her dorm room late Friday afternoon so that relieved one big problem.

We talked about a lot of options Sunday before I left. She brought up a couple scenarios that were new so that was good. I could be a snowbird, she could come back and live on campus in MN etc. I was also able to talk with some other parents that have "been there done that" and that helped confirm that we are not crazy to let her do what she is doing.

Friday when I arrived she was in her backup chair, sick, stressed, a PCA backed out etc. I transferred her to bed at 230 and she slept until at least nine. Poor chick.

We'll continue to knock out a few more solutions this week and I fly back on Saturday. (Previously scheduled.) It will be good to check in and maybe go out for a good dinner this time!