Thread: situps with a wedge?

situps with a wedge?

I always wonder about taking the time to practice sit ups. This video looks very good https://youtu.be/Pg0ILXq5bZs What function and movements would training like this help with?

I did a similar movement years ago. My Father made a padded reclining wedge like a lawn chair with notches so we could raise and recline it. I would lay on my mat table then they would sit me up with the wedge behind me and I would do the movement you see in the video. We added a few twists, I would use wrist weights anywhere from 1 to 3 lbs to help me swing my arms forward and sit up. I also would estim my abs at the same time. As time went on I would decrease the weights and lower the back. It was a great exercise for the abs and balance but you need to really watch your tailbone closely.

I have modified my crunches to the video below because I can do them from my chair, on my cushion and do them unassisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s-hu482NsI
    ^^(A)^^

Thank you for sharing darty, very clever design to figure out crunches. I'm always seeing the possibilities of ways to do certain exercises, there is always a way. How is your balance when not sitting in your chair? At night when I go to bed I do a core routine based from https://youtu.be/a-31jCwslZY (The angry quad) I modified his core workout to make it more attainable to me. But have been wondering what the difference is from lying flat and working my core muscles or having my feet on the floor and lying back and trying situps, I used to do that but never seemed to stick with it. But wondering if I should get a wedge and make that situp training a key part of my training. Thoughts?

I have one of these and it works pretty good. I sit indian style while I use it because with my legs straight out my hips are too tight to let me sit up good. Sometimes I try to do them fast and other times I sit up then try to control the movement going down.

c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

It did help my balance and you can vary the crunches to fit your needs. Pull farther forward or back up a bit to put more or less tension on the bands. You can also do some lateral side to side crunches and several other exercises for arms and shoulders with my setup.
    ^^(A)^^