Thread: Lateral rotation with LAL mattress

Lateral rotation with LAL mattress

I have noticed that the lateral rotation component available with some LAL mattresses doesn't seem to get good reviews from writers in this column. Could you please explain why this is so? I thought that that option would be a bonus, but don't want to order one if it isn't that useful. My 18 year old son is spending time on a clinitron bed after a stage 4 sore, so we need to get a different mattress for him. He is at a SCI center, so we do have guidance from staff, but I haven't gotten much guidance on the rotation part.

Thank you for your help.

Audreys

Not sure who you are referring to, but we do use some lateral rotation LAL mattresses for our clients at home. It is always better to be turned manually, but if there is no one available to do this, and the person cannot turn themselves, then using such equipment is preferable to spending all night without being turned at all. Turning is important not only for skin, but for lungs, kidney system, and bowels as well. One of the downsides though of a turning mattress is that it works by pushing on the back and posterior pelvis to turn and keep the person turned to their side, so it may not provide as much pressure relief as you can achieve with manual turning. It can also make it difficult for the person to reach and use ECU controls or other high tech equipment unless some method is made to turn the controls with the person.

(KLD)

Thank you for the information.

Audreys