Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG! What a keyboard

OMG! What a keyboard

I have pondered the suggestions given in my earlier thread and was able to check some of them out at BestBuy. I concluded that mechanical keys were the way to go. I ultimately selected to go with a computer keyboard made by WASD Keyboards. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ The price was hefty but well worth it because of the service I got. They custom made my keyboard for use with the typingstick keyboard layout I use. I pasted a photo below. After some discussion I decided to go with the Cherry MX brown switches. They only require 45gms of pressure for actuation and emit an audible click. My days of forcing keys down with my typing stick are gone along with tendinitis. The keys are so much easier to press. I encourage everyone to play around with a mechanical switch keyboard when you get a chance. It is something people who use a typing stick and easily tire or get sore to should definitely check out. The keyboard brings back memories of IBM electric typewriter keys. Those of you who have never typed with an IBM electric don't know how much better typing can be.

Name:  keyboard wasd 30.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  38.4 KB
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

That looks like a really great keyboard. I was a medical transcriptionist throughout my youth and I'll never forget the pleasure of using an IBM Selectric typewriter. Everything about it was perfect. There are Selectric collectors' groups today, and people will pay large amounts to have them repaired and refurbished. I'd get one myself, if it made sense for me to have one. But this keyboard looks like a wonderful substitute - even the height, width and shape of the keys looks the same. And the keys make that distinctive soft clicking sound, wow. Thank you for the link!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Nice! A proper keyboard makes or breaks my purchase of laptops. I like nice big fat buttons that take no effort to push. Less typing errors, less annoyance, less strain, more enjoyable.

Nice keyboard, SCIfor55yrs!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Nice! ... I like nice big fat buttons that take no effort to push. Less typing errors, less annoyance, less strain, more enjoyable.
    Ahhh yes. Now you're talking.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    Soft touch is awesome, but the clicks gotta go! Working in a cube farm for years, I think I've got PTCS (post traumatic cube syndrome). I integrate the sound of keyboards clacking about as well as someone chewing noisily with their mouth open. The day I rated my own office was a very special day.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Here you are: 1 inch square keys! There is a keyboard out there for everyone.

http://shop.hooleon.com/collections/...ys-kinderboard
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Soft touch is awesome, but the clicks gotta go! Working in a cube farm for years, I think I've got PTCS (post traumatic cube syndrome). I integrate the sound of keyboards clacking about as well as someone chewing noisily with their mouth open. The day I rated my own office was a very special day.
    Sigh. What I wouldn't give for a cube. When we moved into our new office space we have the latest trendy crap, which is open offices and desks that move up and down so people can stand while they work (cause you know sitting is bad for you).

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I think you mean typing.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Sigh. What I wouldn't give for a cube. When we moved into our new office space we have the latest trendy crap, which is open offices and desks that move up and down so people can stand while they work (cause you know sitting is bad for you).
    Oh my! No thank you. That sounds miserable. Noise cancelling headphones and racing horse blinders might help.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Oh my! No thank you. That sounds miserable. Noise cancelling headphones and racing horse blinders might help.
    And we spent an assload of money on the offices. I sent articles about how costly interruptions are for software engineers, got totally ignored. So I just let me people work from home whenever they want. Most come in tuesday and friday when we have free lunch.

Oh and we have a 200 dollar headphone allowance.