Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brain Computer Interface for Quadriplegia and Paraplegia Improvement

Thumbs up Brain Computer Interface for Quadriplegia and Paraplegia Improvement

Christina King PhD, researcher from UCLA and UC at Irvine, discusses the Brain/Computer Interface to provide Muscular Stimulation to improve the conditions of Paraplegia, for patients to engage in a improved state of locomotion and walking along with a panel that includes a few neurologists. Christina has her PhD in brain computer interfaces and is researching mobile health platforms for improving movement after neurological injury at the UCLA Wireless Health Institute.

LINK

If a solution involves touching my brain, then I'm out.

Anyone think that they would take a chance?

If its for motor only, why wouldn't an external system be a better use of resources?
    Surely exoskeletons are going to be faster to develop and have a lot less risk than messing with the brain?

Sometimes I think research is being done for research purposes only.
    Last edited by PleaseBeReasonable; 01-29-2016 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Wanted to explain more of my thinking

I would give anything to move my legs around ... If it got rid of my ever-present foot wounds, totally worth it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Wouldn't it be useless without sensation though?
    I think the reason people without a spinal injury don't get pressure sores is that their body tells their brain they need to move.
    If you don't have the sensation telling you to move, will you remember?

I remember being in rehab and they told me I should lift and move my myself every 15 minutes to release the pressure.
    Like I can remember to do this.
    Regardless when I'm asleep that can't happen.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have motor so I can walk. But if its motor only, then I think I'd get an exoskeleton vs a brain implant.

Trying to figure out who are, newly registered? lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Trying to figure out who are, newly registered? lol

ah, ok I get it. If you aren't complete and have sensation it would be worth it?

Sorry was just thinking about completes.

Here is thread on jumping the damaged area for people interested in understanding more about this strategy:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=computer

I still believe we should focus on finding a biological cure and leave this approaches aside because it will take long time before you can make it work decently for people and a natural recovery of function would still be much better and not more distant in the future IMO.

Also consider that for people who have lost the second motor neuron regeneration is the only option.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I would give anything to move my legs around ... If it got rid of my ever-present foot wounds, totally worth it.
    Other labs are also pushing forward in the field and secured funding.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/brain-implant-that-could-reanimate-paralyzed-limbs-secures-16m-in-funding

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseBeReasonable View Post
    If a solution involves touching my brain, then I'm out.

Anyone think that they would take a chance?

If its for motor only, why wouldn't an external system be a better use of resources?
    Surely exoskeletons are going to be faster to develop and have a lot less risk than messing with the brain?

Sometimes I think research is being done for research purposes only.
    I agree. Where are the funds for this research coming from? NSF is part of healthcare or....?

@Grammy I'm still interested know about the funding mechanisms of spinal cord injury researchers receive. At the state level, I've been involved in this process ? but we are still funding basic research. Please enlighten me to how the federal government is disbursing funds and ways we can organize so that we can get an increase like $350 million like ALS.

When does SCI secondary complications begin to be classified as terminal? Too many of us have been taken early.