Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fluid on right lung

fluid on right lung

Anthony is in the hospital again he has fluid in/around? his right lung. They were treating it with dieretics(sp?). His pulmonary Dr. came in and said he wants to do this (thoracentesis): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoracentesis

Has anyone ever had this done, is this excessive treatment? or pretty common?

He had pneumonia in December and duodenum surgery earlier this month?
    Cindy Waters
    mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
    injury march 2003

that was supposed to be bleeding duodenum ulcer surgery
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

Fluid around (not inside) the lungs can interfere with lung expansion, and often needs to be removed by insertion of a needle and sucking out the fluid (thoracentesis). There is always risk with such a procedure, ranging from infection to a pneumothorax (collapsed lung), which would need require the insertion of a chest tube to correct.

Fluid can accumulate there from irritation of the pleura (the slick coating of the chest wall and of the outside of the lung), which can be caused by infection, inflammation, and other problems. If it re-occurs, then further investigation should be made. The fluid sucked out should be cultured for infection, and also have a microscopic exam for things like tumor cells.

It probably should be done sooner rather than later for your son, as the fluid will make it much more difficult for him to wean from the ventilator.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by waters3 View Post
    Anthony is in the hospital again he has fluid in/around? his right lung. They were treating it with dieretics(sp?). His pulmonary Dr. came in and said he wants to do this (thoracentesis): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoracentesis

Has anyone ever had this done, is this excessive treatment? or pretty common?

He had pneumonia in December and duodenum surgery earlier this month?
    Please let Anthony know that we are thinking about him and pulling for him! Hope he is better soon!

UPDATE: there was not enough fluid in the lung to drain so they continued him on diuretics, that has also now stopped. He was off the vent (only bipap setting) for over 18 hours starting Jan 30. He wanted to be put back on last evening.

Here is an over view of what has been happening.

Anthony has been in the hospital 3x now since mid December. Once in mid dececember for pneumonia, once at beginning of january for a dudenum bleeding ulcer which resulted in a major surgery, and back last week and still is in hospital with fluid in/on? his right lung, don't think infection just fluid buildup, they are treating with antibiotics just in case.

All three times the sign of needing to take him to ER were because he was having difficulty breathing and all 3x he has had to be on a vent (usually only bipap setting) to help him breath until the worst part is over and he is stronger in the lung area. He is a level c4,5,6 quadriplegic. At home he has just an open stoma and sometimes we put his trach in to suction him (he has a custom sized shiley 7 uncuffed, unfenestrated no inner cannula). There is no oxygen, never had to use a vent or anything for that matter.

My question is until he gets over this hump (he is also now malnourished) he/we were thinking that a bipap machine would help him at home at night until he gets back into the groove and is healthy and get his diaphragm muscles back.

I have also heard there is a PAP machine but haven't had a chance to look that up yet to see what that is.

1. Does anyone know if there is a bipap machine out there that can be attached to a trach; if not are there very small ventilators that have bipap setting?
    2. Does anyone know what a person in his condition can do for breathing and strengthening of the diaphragm muscles.

Any advice to shed a light on this would be great. Thanks.

--
    cindy waters
    mom to anthony 33yo
    sci march 2003
    Lutz, FL
    c4,5,6 complete

I have a paralyzed diaphragm and use a vent with a trach. At first I tried a BiPAP machine with my trach (so I guess you can use a BiPAP with a trach) but it wasn't successful in my case. I now use a Respironics (Phillips) Trilogy ventilator with the Assist Control setting but I believe it has a BiPAP setting as well. You should probably consult a Respiratory Therapist.

As far as strengthening the diaphragm, I have no advice. Mine hasn't worked in quite a while. Again you should talk to a Respiratory Therapist.

I wish your son the best of luck.
    Last edited by StarLord; 02-01-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Two main ways to do diaphragmatic strengthening.

The first is to use a device like the PFlex Inspiratory Muscle Trainer on a regular basis (we try to use it 4X daily at least), working up to 10 minutes for the largest hole setting, then setting to the next smallest hole, working up to 10 minutes, etc.

http://www.hartmanmedical.net/Catalo...Muscle-Trainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxV1R-0qS34

The second is to lay on your back on a mat or bed and place small sandbag weights on the abdomen just above the belly button. This increases intra-abdominal pressure, which requires that the diaphragm work harder to contract and descend into the abdominal cavity, so essentially you are weight-lifting with your diaphragm. Build up from 30-60 seconds of this to 15 minutes or so, several times daily.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 02-01-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Two main ways to do diaphragmatic strengthening.

The first is to use a device like the PFlex Inspiratory Muscle Trainer on a regular basis (we try to use it 4X daily at least), working up to 10 minutes for the largest hole setting, then setting to the next smallest hole, working up to 10 minutes, etc.

http://www.hartmanmedical.net/Catalo...Muscle-Trainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxV1R-0qS34

The second is to lay on your back on a mat or bed and place small sandbag weights on the abdomen just above the belly button. This increases intra-abdominal pressure, which requires that the diaphragm work harder to contract and descend into the abdominal cavity, so essentially you are weight-lifting with your diaphragm. Build up from 30-60 seconds of this to 15 minutes or so, several times daily.

(KLD)
    We actually have the Pflex but the picture you are showing we don't have that middle part? Can a trached person use this?
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003

The middle piece is used to bleed in oxygen if that is needed, or can be hooked up to an EtC02 monitor. If you don't use those, then leave it out. You can use this with a trach. Remove the mouthpiece part, and then attach a short piece (4" or so)of blow-by tubing and a trach connecter/adaptor to that, then attach that to the trach (most effective if the trach balloon is inflated).

(KLD)

they were giving anthony iv lasix for treating fluid around the lungs. they stopped that several days ago but just started with oral lasix 40mg every 24 hours. He is being intermittently cathed every 6 hours. Is the standard treatment for this type of ailment. I have read about using this to deplete fluid around the heart but did not see anything regarding treatment for fluid around the lungs. He was also on IV vancomyacin tomorrow is his last day for that they said for treating pneumonia and MRSA.
    Cindy Waters
    injury march 2003